How to group ingested data by application?

Hello!

I am ingesting metric and log data from Kubernetes through the nri-bundle Helm chart v1.9.1 since a while and already set up a few log views, alerts and dashboards with graphs. However, when I open the New Relic Android app, it cannot find any “applications” or “entities” beyond the Kubernetes cluster’s nodes, which is not really helpful. I also noticed in parts of the web application that New Relic expects to work with such “applications” and other “entities”, but my project does not have them set up and I do not know how to create them. I already read parts of the documentation in order to set up dashboards, graphs based on NRQL queries, logs and alerts, but did not come across a section that describes how to group them by “application” or dissect the data more automatically into “entities”, things which appear to be so important to use New Relic effectively.

I would expect that I could inform New Relic that certain namespaces represent an application, or even which deployments and services make up applications – maybe using Kubernetes labels or annotations – but could not find documentation on how to do that.

How does this work? How can I work more effectively with New Relic and get a better overview over my systems by using “applications”?

1 Like

@dschridde Sorry you have been waiting awhile for a response from our community. I’m going to bring this back to the attention of our support team. Thanks for your patience!

Neal Mc

@dschridde This is a duplicate to this topic:

Action that was taken was to open a feature idea.

I think Kubernetes Helm nri-bundle logtype is about parsing logs from containers in Kubernetes, while this question is about marking metrics and logs in Kubernetes as belonging to a New Relic “application” entity.

@dschridde Thanks for the clarification. For this issue then we’ll have to see if community members or our support team can assist further.