How to print uptime/downtime by Host in Insights page since begin of 2018

How to print uptime/downtime by Host in Insights page since begin of 2018.

Show me your NRQL and I’ll show you how to print it.

1 Like

Hi @Manoj.Ravikumar - You may find this NRQL library a useful source of information. I understand that there are samples for you particular question.

Thanks all. However, I am looking for the uptime for the servers and not for Synthetics monitors.

Is the question “how to print” or is it “how to get uptime metrics”?

How to get uptime/downtime(Availability) per host?
Would that information be displayed in Infrastructure page?

How to get uptime/downtime(Availability) per host?
Would that information be displayed in Infrastructure page?

Simple answer: No.

Less simple: There is no way to predict how your product is deployed and if uptime/downtime is even a meaningful metric. Further, if you search a bit you will find several threads on the topic. You may find those helpful in determining how to define a metrics that is meaningful for your environment.

1 Like

Is there anyway we can print a host’s availability(thru ping the host’s IP) in NR Insights?

What does that mean?

Calculate a server’s availability thru ping.

We have numerous Prod hosts(SQL/Web/App). We are trying to create dashboards regarding their monthly availability(uptime). How do we go about doing so?

You have to define what measurement you have that tells you that server is “up”. Ping doesn’t do that.

Once you have a metrics that is consistently produced you can measure gaps in the metric to infer that the hosts are “down”.

You can create a “ping” like operation that isn’t a real ping, but a request or otherwise that should be successful when the servers are “up”. Many people call this a “heartbeat”. This is often achieved externally using New Relic using Synthetics.

@Manoj.Ravikumar - Was @6MM’s post helpful for you? Let us know if you have been able to set up a ‘heartbeat’ metric or if you need any further help.

Can you folks please assist me setting up a “heartbeat” metric??

Hi @Manoj.Ravikumar, I wonder have you taken a look at our Synthetics Scripted Monitors docs, these are almost like a workout for your app, testing specific things at regular time-intervals, hope this helps :slight_smile:

@Manoj.Ravikumar - There have been suggestions on what steps you could take to get the information you require.

There is no feature in New Relic which will provide you the availability of a server. You can work out the availability of an application using a synthetic check on the application and using NRQL to calculate the availability based on the success or failure of the synthetics.

We cannot determine what your heartbeat metric is as everyone has different requirements. If you would like us to assist, you will have to very clear in describing your scenario.

2 Likes

@Manoj.Ravikumar Were @stefan_garnham’s comments helpful? As he noted you can use Synthetics for App Availability.

As well as that we’ll need some more on your specific use case to understand what type of heartbeat you’ll need. Feel free to let us know what you’re looking for in more detail.