Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Important: Upcoming Changes for New Relic Servers and legacy alerting features

alerts
servers
infrastructure
rfb

I head that when we use APM Lite and Infrastructure PRO or Essentials, we use Alerts for “APM” as well as Infrastructure. Is it right?

While I think it makes sense for you to not maintain these overlapping functionalities, the loss of servers is going to be difficult due to functionality that is still not part of infrastructure.

Infrastructure has no equivalent of the servers/Overview. This page is very useful to get a quick check on the status of a server. To get the equivalent quick view in Infrastructure requires me to look at 4 tabs ( computer, network, storage, process ). Before you remove servers you should add a overview tab to infrastructure.

And in terms of the data available, losing the ability to easily see how many threads and how much CPU/Memory a given application is using is a huge loss. In servers getting this data is easy. In Infrastructure it is not possible. I have been told I can get that data using an insights dashboard, but that does not seem like a reasonable workaround as it means I have yet another place to look when I am trying to troubleshoot a particular server.

@twells you just saved me a lot of typing. My sentiments exactly.

In addition to the missing visibility noted above, Servers was icing on the New Relic cake. It was a great “free” add-on that lessened the blow of paying for 50+ hosts each month.

At this point, losing server monitoring, and being asked to pay an additional fee for Infrastructure, New Relic is cost prohibitive. There are too many other services offering similar functionality without the additional expense.

Having said that, I do appreciate the ample deprecation notice. Otherwise, we would have been left high and dry.

@GabrielNetto Since Infrastructure Essentials is a paid subscription, all alerting functionality from New Alerts for Infrastructure will be included with no additional cost. This includes cpu, disk usage, host not reporting, process running, and many more alerts!

@miyazawa Correct. As long as you have at least one paid subscription (in this case, Infrastructure Essentials or PRO), you will have access to New Alerting for both APM and Infrastructure products.

Since we are having features removed will we see a corresponding price decrease for APM to offset being forced to pay for what used to be free server monitoring?

I do not use cloud and I do not work with instances, the server monitor for me was perfect, I had the reports I needed in a simple way, I tested the infrastructure and besides the bugs I did not like the organization, it does not fit my case

I am a subscriber to APM, and after that decision I am thinking of canceling it and not using any other service from Newrelic, for me NewRelic was perfect, but they decided to change to suit who uses Amazon, and forgot that there are people who use traditional server. …

Newrelic thinks all their clients use amazon or similar, it’s not my case I use traditional physical server yet, my database server has 96gb ram and 2 processors the CU calculation will be high, and the service will not deliver What I need that is basically basic information from each server …

Because of this I am going to cancel my entire NewRelic account including the services I paid as APM

I’m 100% in the same boat, I started looking into alternatives and requesting demos from other APM providers today.

As you’re abandoning Servers anyway, do you consider open sourcing it? I mean, releasing the source code for newrelic-sysmond client, and for your server side data collector application(s)?

So anyone interested would be able to set up a similar private data collector service.on their private infrastructure.

Even incomplete (community would probably fix/rewrite missing parts), or on restrictive license, to prevent anyone from setting up a commercial service - it would still be very helpful.

Hi, @tomaszklim: I cannot speak to whether the company will release the source code for the server monitoring agents, but I wanted to point out that there are open-source plugins available for Unix and Windows:

Well, there are manz more plugins. I even created and published 2 plugins myself:

btw. I don’t any answer anywhere, if Plugins will also stop working or not on Nov 14th.

But having only open source plugins is not sufficient to run private data collector and/or web interface. That’s why I asked about open sourcing the whole Servers functionality.

Hi,

And what about SYNTHETICS feature after this update?

Thanks

Hi @tortuegeniale69 - I think you are asking if our Synthetics product is affected by these changes, which it is not. If I misunderstood you, please let me know!

Best,
Holly

Hi there @tulioht - I understand your frustration. I do want to make sure to be clear that Infrastructure is designed to provide real-time health metrics for all your systems, not just the cloud.

The problem and the way this is organized, I prefer each separate server with its dashboard, did not like the interface, outside the payment system and confusing, type pay more expensive just because it has more ram memory, what more ram memory changes , The data collection is the same …

The documentation of the service is confusing for those who do not use the cloud, and there is no price estimate, you have to look for a seller to know how much you will pay, because the price page only talks about cloud, in the price page could have a calculator for the Also, you should have improved this before ending the server monitor

@hross - Thanks for you quick reply.

And Yes I was asking if synthetics will be affected by this change.

So I have 2 additional questions :

1. If synthetics will work again after this change, does the email alert notification system will work also? because I use synthetics to monitor all my customers websites, and when the ping test failed (for example) I receive emails notification.

2. Also, I’m using server feature with plugin installed on linux debian system to monitor CPU, memory, disk etc…will it work again ?

Many thanks again
Laurent

This price page is incomplete, my representative does not currently work on Newrelic, how do I know the prices …

Hi @tulioht - can you please let me know which pricing page you are referencing and what you are looking for?

Hey @tortuegeniale69,

1. If synthetics will work again after this change, does the email alert notification system will work also? because I use synthetics to monitor all my customers websites, and when the ping test failed (for example) I receive emails notification.

Your Synthetics monitors will not be affected by this change. As long as you are using New Alerts to be alerting for these ping test failures, you will continue receiving notifications for failures.

1. Also, I’m using server feature with plugin installed on linux debian system to monitor CPU, memory, disk etc…will it work again ?

Your server plugins will continue to work up until the EOL date (which depends on your subscription). I recommend getting things switched over to Infrastructure.