Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Important: Upcoming Changes for New Relic Servers and legacy alerting features

alerts
servers
infrastructure
rfb

New Relic Servers and the legacy alerting features will reach End-Of Life (EOL) on May 15th, 2018 for those customers who have a paid subscription to one or more of our products. For customers who do not have a paid subscription to one or more of our products, the EOL date will be November 14, 2017. Also, New Relic Alerts will be removed on November 14, 2017 from accounts that do not have a paid subscription.

After the EOL date, New Relic Servers and the legacy alerting features will no longer be available in the New Relic user interface and data processing will stop. Also, New Relic Alerts will only be available for paying accounts and will be removed from non-paying accounts starting on the EOL date.

This was not an easy decision for us, but the fact is that we have newer products with better features that have been designed to meet our customer needs, and we will be investing in these products going forward. New Relic Infrastructure was released last November and provides many more benefits as compared to New Relic Servers including: configuration change tracking, lightning fast, real-time software inventory visibility, native AWS support, and more. It enables full stack visibility for all your dynamically changing systems and the application they support.

Likewise, the capabilities previously available with our legacy alerting features have been replaced and superseded by New Relic Alerts. New Relic Alerts are now more tightly integrated into customer’s entire data set and provide the ability to get broader, deeper monitoring to solve problems faster.

In order to assist you with the transition to these new products, we have created some resources we hope will be helpful.

Servers and legacy alerts users should also register for these upcoming webinars or catch the replay by clicking on the links below.

Important: Upcoming Changes for New Relic Servers
Important: Upcoming Changes for legacy alerting features
Can I alert on 5xx HTTP errors, but not 4xx errors?
Rollback to legacy alerts on my account
CPU Information Displaying incorrectly 1 CPU when i have 2
NewRelic.ServerMonitor.exe CPU usage
Nrsysmond uses 100% cpu
The newrelic-sysmond is not sending data
Tech Talk: New Relic Alerts
What will happen to the daemon when servers goes EOL
Post New Relic Servers EOL Follow Up
Changing servers account not working
Server Monitor High RAM Usage - POSSIBLE BUG?
Machines give alerts until restarting new relic service
Cloned Servers Stay Active But Source Servers Become NOT REPORTING (DEV-839)
Revert my Alerts back to your Legacy Alerting
Relic Solution: Availability Monitor in Infrastructure and Synthetics
Retrieve AWS instance-id from NewRelic Server data?
Alerts Generation
Unable to ping, site is up and accessible
Unable to ping | False Alerts
All my dashboard server not show online
Missing view servers
Cores and RAM amount is not updated
When you can't access some admin features and the owner of your Account has a herokumanager.com domain
Revert my alerts back to Legacy Alerting
Apdex Score Setting ASP.Net Website
Received fatal alert: protocol_version - how to resolve?
Open Violation After Violating Entity Exists No More
Export server information feature
[URGENT] Please change my account back to Legacy Alerts
Ping URL not working with TLS 1.2?
Relic Solution: Using New Relic's REST APIs to migrate legacy alert conditions to new Alerts
What happens to running Server agents after May 15th?
Sort for server names rest API v2 list

Great that you prepared detailed documentation of the upcoming change, but unfortunately you forgot to give user the clear answer to the most important question:

What services do you plan to still offer for free?

Not for any 30-day trial periods etc., but literally for free?

Because now it seems that you just showed a middle finger to all these customers, that use New Relic for years, recommend New Relic to others, and possibly even built custom solutions around it - but they don’t have enough money to pay. Should they start to look for alternative solutions? Or will you have an offer for them?

Thanks for sharing your feelings about Servers and Alerts @tomaszklim . It’s never our intention to upset people. At this time, we have no plans to discontinue the Lite versions of APM, Browser, Mobile, and Synthetics.

This was not an easy decision for us, but the fact is that we have newer products with better features that are better equipped to meet our customer needs, and we want to be able to invest in these products going forward. New Relic Infrastructure was released last November and provides many more benefits as compared to New Relic Servers including: configuration change tracking, lightning fast, real-time software inventory visibility, native AWS support, and more. It enables full stack visibility for all your dynamically changing systems and the application they support.

Likewise, the capabilities previously available with our legacy alerting features have been replaced and superseded by New Relic Alerts. New Relic Alerts are now more tightly integrated into customer’s entire data set and provide the ability to get broader, deeper monitoring to solve problems faster.

Some alternative for free hosted server monitoring:

Nixstats.com - Free beta, actively developed
Pinguzo.com - Free beta
Nodequery - Free beta, project seems dead

Pricing question:

“Infrastructure Essentials prices range from $0.90 to $7.20, depending on instance size.”

How can the cost be from $0.90 when you require a minimum of the following:

“Infrastructure requires a minimum of 16500 CUs.”

At 16500 the cheapest cost for Infrastructure will be an annual essentials subscription priced at: $9.90.

Am I making some error but should the pricing not be from $9.90.

I’m currently using Servers to monitor a windows dedicated Hyper-V, with a couple of VMs. The server is a Xeon E3-1231 v3 with 16GB Ram.

Hope you could clarify!

Installing Server agent on Small Business Server

Would be happy to help you out @FugiTive - If you want to get information beyond what the amazing @kirani has outlined below, the best thing to do is put you in touch with your rep. Can I send your contact info? Or you can DM me and I can give you an email address to reach out to.

He @FugiTive,

Both those statements are accurate.

1. Pricing per instance: Infrastructure is priced based on the size of your instance which could vary from $0.90 for a t2.micro to $7.20 for the largest instance, for the Essentials subscription.
  2. Subscription Pricing: The minimum # of CUs to be purchased as part of any customer subscription is 16,500 costing $9.90. This is the smallest contract size.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Well I guess after many years of using your service we’re done with New Relic. I am not a fan of companies that continually lie to their clients. When I signed up to beta test for you (I have a Nerd Life t-shirt I wear about once a week) I was promised a free for life account with all the fixins. Slowly but surely you’ve stripped that “free for life” account of every single feature that made New Relic great.

Now we don’t even get the most basic of functionality…alerts? Seriously?

If your goal was to make this company seem desperate for cash, you succeeded. I’ve referred at least 10 paying clients to you over the years and I have repeatedly asked that a more affordable option be rolled out for those of us that are not interested in paying more for a piece of software than it costs to host a dedicated server.

It all falls on deaf ears & you just keep trying to squeeze more and more out of your limited client base when the reality is if people could afford it, they’d use it. It’s great software however it is NOT worth hundreds of dollars a month. We would never pay that, no matter how many features you take away.

This is completely absurd. There are FREE monitors out there that offer more functionality than what you’ve left us with so I guess it’s time to move on. I love this software and I loved this company, feel very betrayed & frankly, backstabbed. You will not get another referral out of us and I will be sharing our experience with our clients we did refer to you.

Changing contractual terms after the fact is not a good business practice and does not inspire trust in your userbase. Quite the opposite.

Y’all just fell from being the best to amongst the worst in my book, well played.

At this time, we have no plans to discontinue the Lite versions of APM, Browser, Mobile, and Synthetics.

So the Lite APM legacy alerts will continue for free beyond Nov. 17, 2017, but will just be unsupported?

Excuse me, but my english is not so well, and there is too much word … i have a simple question:
What will happen to free account after november?

Hi there @silenxer and @jheasly - APM Lite will lose access to the legacy alerting features on the EOL dates. Servers will be removed from the product and data will stop reporting. The rest of your APM Lite features will continue beyond that date.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. (Will have to start looking for a Plan B … )

Still confused. I set up Infrastructure to see what all these wonderful features are over Server, and so far it is not reporting anything? And I still don’t understand what my costs will be for my servers? Where is that detailed? Right now I pay nothing for the Server component.

Hi @tchambers - Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time getting your servers to report to Infrastructure. I took a look, and you may have started your trial, but I don’t see that the Infrastructure agent has been installed. If you would like, I can open a support ticket for you. We’d love to see you get up and running.

You can get more detailed Infrastructure pricing on our site, or I would be happy to connect you with your rep if you want to talk to a human!

@kirani Is New Relic Infrastructure a complete replacement for New Relic Servers?

I have bare metal and private cloud VMs where I can only access the VM metrics provided by the OS and don’t have access to the host. When I tried the New Relic Infrastructure beta, the Windows service failed to start as it wanted to connect to a central cloud API to pull environment details from, which our private cloud provider will be unlikely provide us access to given that it will contain other their clients’ data. Even if I could convince them, it is VMware based which isn’t currently supported.

I simulated my current needs that I am using server for with infrastructure and I though the price is reasonable, but I didnt see anything about how the new alerts work. Do I get alerts with the infrastructure essencials? Do these cost extra? I’m currently using alerts for high cpu and high disk usage.

I can confirm that New Relic Infrastructure is working in my test environment, which is on private cloud.

How does it affect customers using the New Relic APM Heroku add-on?

Hi, @GabrielNetto: Infrastructure alerts are managed under Infrastructure’s Settings menu. I believe Infrastructure Essentials includes alerts capability.