Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Infrastructure Agent support for AIX & Solaris

newrelic-infra
infrastructure
infrastructureagent

Hi All,

Would love to see the New Relic Infrastructure agent extended. This would allow us broader coverage within our platforms environment on a common monitoring platform.

Enhancement:

Enhance the New Relic Infrastructure agent to formally support deployment on

1. Support for AIX (7.x – power pc)
  2. Support for Solaris (10,11 - sparc)

It would be acceptable for this to be done in Binary only install, similar to the Linux installer we currently use.
Output should be on a level equivalent to https://github.com/newrelic/newrelic-unix-monitor

• I would also request that the Oracle & Apache plugins are assessed for this as well (although not on critical path), as we have several use cases around this.

Use Case:

• Provide the same level of agent compatibility as other APM competitors
  • Allow for deployment of a common Infrastructure view across platforms
  • Address concerns around 3rd party & open source plugins.
  • AIX & Solaris are both standard enterprise level OS platforms. (Yes we are aware of Solaris being canned, but it will still be around for a few years. ;} )
  • Provide vendor supported Infrastructure monitoring for AIX platforms
  • Provide vendor supported Infrastructure monitoring for Solaris platforms.

Expected outcome:

• Infrastructure agent that support AIX & Solaris and can be installed to a set path (same as the existing Linux binary (tar ball)).
  • Infrastructure data that is captured in the Infrastructure Common view.
  • Infrastructure data that can be used with the existing Infrastructure alerts.

Hi @peter.ralston - Thanks for sharing your detailed use case!

My understanding is that you’d like our Infrastructure agent to add support for both AIX (7.x – power pc) and Solaris (10,11 - sparc) OS.

I would also request that the Oracle & Apache plugins are assessed for this as well (although not on critical path), as we have several use cases around this.

I’m assuming here that you are referring to our On-Host integrations for OracleDB and Apache and not our Plugins. Both these integrations need the infrastructure agent to be installed as a prerequisite and so by introducing support for these OS with our infrastructure agent, support for these On-Host integrations will also be included.

Let me know if you’d like me to submit a feature request on your behalf so that it can be reviewed for consideration in a future release.