New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Infrastructure reporting wrong process name

Please paste the permalink to the page in question below:

https://infrastructure.newrelic.com/accounts/1527527/processes?processesFilters={"and"%3A[{"is"%3A{"processDisplayName"%3A"bash"}}]}&filters={"and"%3A[{"is"%3A{"displayName"%3A"dbs-en-in%20prod"}}]}

Please share your agent and other relevant versions below:

Latest AWS Linux agent

Please share your question/describe your issue below. Include any screenshots that may help us understand your question:

A process is showing up in the infrastructure process view as ‘bash’ when if you log into the host and check what is really running for the PID, it is something else, in this case java (note index is a symlink to java):

19941 pts/0 Sl 29:28 /opt/java/bin/index -Xmx4096m -Duser.timezone=GMT -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=kill -9 %p -jar /home/app/reporting/solr/start.jar

I’ve seen this a couple of times and it makes it very difficult to identify the sources of high cpu and memory usage.

@kasisto what are some of the other examples where you’ve seen this occur? I would at the very least have expected index to show as the process name if not java. I’m curious if there’s something common between the various examples where you’ve found the issue occur. Or is it only with this particular command?

Additionally, what’s displayed in the stat file for the particular PID when you see this happen? That is: what are the contents of the file at /proc/<PID>/stat where <PID> is the process ID for the problematic process?