Is it possible to add a log view to the dashboard?

I would like to allow testers to view the log files of a container in a Kubernetes cluster. They cannot have direct access to the container.

I can go to the log section, in New Relic, and create a query to select what they need to see. However I dont know how to add this to the dashboard. Is there a way to add a log query to the dashboard? This will allow them to see what they need when they can log in and see the logs straight away.

Ideally the testers will only have access to the dashboard to view the log files. They do not need access to all the other features in New Relic. Is this possible with New Relic?

Hi there @frazer.grant - and welcome to the New Relic community!

If I understand it correctly, you’ve got a two part question here. First - you want to know if you can create a dashboard that displays the results of Log queries. Second, you want to share that dashboard with colleagues, and not allow them to wander around New Relic otherwise.

If that’s the case, then I have good news for you! :wink:

First - you can absolutely create a dashboard that displays the results of your Log queries. Create a new dashboard, add a widget with the chart type, and type your NRQL in. You’ll want the query builder to be in Advanced (NRQL) mode here. More about Dashboards in our docs.

And maybe less than perfect news for you…

You can certainly create users and restrict their capabilities in the product. I see you are still on our original user model and this doc walks through user management for that model. The long and short is - you can create users who have READ ONLY access to New Relic, but you won’t be able to restrict what they can view inside New Relic. So they can navigate and see Log Management, but won’t be able to make any changes. That’s the closest we can get to your ideal scenario.

Let me know if you have other questions or any follow ups!

Thank you that helped. However the syntax for viewing the logs in the log section is different to the syntax for creating the chart to view the logs.

Why do these two sections use different syntax?

I think I can offer a reasonably informed explanation.

New Relic Logs and New Relic Dashboards are two distinct products. Logs is the relative new kid on the block. Whereas New Relic has offered some variation on Dashboards for many years now, with the previous incarnation being known as Insights.

When creating Insights, we needed a query language that was fast, flexible, and easy to learn. Thus NRQL was born, and for some time was the only way to query data in New Relic.

Since the launch of New Relic One we have dramatically expanded our product offerings, ingesting new data types we’d never had the ability to accept before. With these new offerings came new ways of looking at the data. Some of these were new to us, and some, such as the Kubernetes Cluster Explorer, were new to the world.

When it came to logs, we sought to offer a familiar way of viewing and searching logs for users that had spent time using other log management tools. From this effort, the Logs UI was born. We chose to use Lucene as the query language for Logs as this was already a popular query language used by other well known log viewers.

At the same time, we wanted to expose the data found in logs in a way that allowed users to slice and dice their log data in a myriad of ways that traditional log viewers couldn’t offer. The obvious answer there was to leverage the technology we already had in NRDB. Storing log data in NRDB makes it available for querying in Dashboards and Insights, meaning the function and convenience of NRQL can be applied to the attributes found in log data.

To sum it up, I’d say that the Logs UI offers a way to view log data that allows users familiar with other log viewers to get started quickly, without first needing to learn a new query syntax. While the ability to query log data using NRQL opens up a range of use cases that traditional log viewers are unable to offer.

To be clear, this is my opinion based solely on personal observation, and should not be considered official documentation.

2 Likes