Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Issues with New Relic and Sidekiq in Heroku

rails
heroku
ruby

###Ruby Question Template

• What language agent version are you using? Any other relevant versions? (Gems, etc.)

Ruby v2.3

gem ‘rails’, ‘~> 5.0.1’
gem ‘newrelic_rpm’, ‘5.3.0.346’
gem ‘sidekiq’, ‘~> 5.1.1’

• Describe your issue: what are you seeing? What were you expecting to see?

I use sidekiq as my background job processor on rails through ActiveJob. When I have NEW_RELIC_AGENT_ENABLED=true, all of my jobs are enqueued by my web dyno instead of my worker dyno. None of my jobs go through sidekiq (they should).

When I set NEW_RELIC_AGENT_ENABLED=false as a environment variable, everything is back to normal. Something with New Relic’s agent is screwing up how my app is enqueueing background jobs. I’ve also noticed that I have to prepend NEW_RELIC_AGENT_ENABLED=false with my rake tasks as well for the jobs to process.

I’ve also tried disabling the agent only on my sidekiq instance but it doesn’t work:

web: bundle exec puma -C config/puma.rb release: bundle exec rails db:migrate worker: NEW_RELIC_AGENT_ENABLED=false bundle exec sidekiq -C config/sidekiq.yml -e production

I love New Relic, but obviously this makes it impossible to use. Has anyone seen this issue? I’m happy to give more information.

Thanks for bringing this up, @stephen.arifin . We have opened a support ticket with you and will try to update here with the results from that. :+1: