Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

I've got 99 problems and New Relic ain't one. (aka "What's in scope here?")

Correct me if I’m wrong here (very possible), but at first glance it looks to me like everything here at discuss.newrelic.com relates specifically to the New Relic app: how to use it, troubleshooting, new NR features, etc. Most of the time my use of New Relic is really straight forward: it just works. I don’t have a lot of problems with the New Relic app!

Is this community also a place where we (NR users) help each other improve our apps’ performance? If so, where is the right part of the discuss site to post those types of questions? For example, I might say something like “NR shows me this slow transaction (screenshot) and it looks like (memcached get) is weirdly slow. What would you all try to do to diagnose that and/or improve it?”

I ask because I’d get much more benefit from the rest of this community by sharing app performance improvement best practices and troubleshooting than I would by sharing New Relic best practices and troubleshooting. I’ve got 99 problems and New Relic ain’t one.

Hey @jared11 -

First - let me just say how glad I am to hear that New Relic just works for you. That’s awesome.

Second - you are definitely not wrong - ISH. Which is another way of saying that you are mostly right! The biggest use of the Explorers Hub is for technical support questions. Thousands of them even.

We also want this to be a place where our customers can chat about how to use New Relic to improve the performance of their software. It just does not happen that often. We think that some of that has to do with the history of the site and the culture that’s been built here (one that we’re working on shifting to more conversational).

On that note, be sure to join our slack channel in the New Relic Users Slack instance. There are hundreds of customers and lots of opportunities to connect in real time in that space.

We hadn’t considered, as your post seems to suggest, that one of the things stopping people is simply a place that seems clear to ask this type of question. Could / should we have a category or area that is more explicitly about improving your site performance?

Lastly, thank you! This was a thought-provoking post and I really appreciate you raising the question. Well played:

Yes, I believe this was a blocker for me. I looked for which category to put my question, but didn’t find one that felt right.

IMHO, yes. And depending on how you want to do it, you might need more than one category if you want people to be segmenting their performance questions by technology or by architecture.

And while I’d welcome a new category or set of categories here… I don’t necessarily think you need to do it in a forum format if you don’t want to. You could try to get a new tag on SO and do it all in Q&A format. You could do it in your Slack. Or on Twitter. It could be open ended or structured (for example on “Too Slow Tuesdays” NR users post screenshots of the NR chart that shows the slowest part of their app). Would others in the community comment with suggestions or questions to help diagnose and improve the performance there?

I came here because I got a notice about Badges. The real badges we should be getting IMHO are the badges for helping each other have the fastest apps anywhere on the internet!

To make this a little more tangible, here’s a real example… I wish I could post this somewhere that the NR customers who use Django would see it.

Hi everyone. Here’s one of the highest throughput transactions in our Django app (1.11). It’s hosted on AWS:

The biggest item here is Template Block/main_content. Is that normal? Any suggestions on how to go deeper into that and what I might be able to do to render that faster?

Hi @jared11,

Because of the various complexities between our customer’s applications, there isn’t a way for us to tell whether or not this is a normal transaction. However, I would highly recommend looking into the Python agent’s API to expand upon the instrumentation gathered by default and dive deeper into this transaction. We have a guide into using the API, which you can find at the following link:

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/python-agent/api-guides/guide-using-python-agent-api

Hopefully this helps! Let us know if we can help with anything!

Hi, @jared11: Another suggestion: If you click on that chart (or scroll to the bottom of the Transactions page), you can view a transaction trace for that transaction, if one exists. You can then click on the Trace details tab to see a call stack view of the transaction; find the Block/main_content method in the call stack and expand it, to see what that code does that might make it take as long as it does. You may find, for example, that the code makes a large number of database queries, or calls another method that executes slowly.

If you haven’t already, you might take a look at the free training resources available at New Relic University. Specifically, the module “Improve performance with APM” in the Get Started with APM course covers how to drill down into your application’s data to identify bottlenecks.