[Java] Disable Metrics from`opentelemetry-exporters-newrelic-auto`

Hi! I’m planning to use opentelemetry-javaagent-all with opentelemetry-exporters-newrelic-auto and was wondering if Metrics recording will be automatically enabled? If so, how can I disable it or how can I get only Tracing pushing data to Newrelic?
Thanks in advance

Hey @mateux, there have been some updates to the README.MD on the repo (link) which explain how to skip metric collection when using programmatic instrumentation.

For auto-instrumentation, I don’t see a way to disable metric forwarding (or span forwarding) in the current iteration of the exporter. This sounds like a great enhancement request, so I’d encourage you to raise an Issue on the Github repo for this.

1 Like

Hi @mateux ! Apologies for the very late response. @nlidbury is correct and currently, there is no convenient api to disable metrics or spans. It is a great idea and I do encourage you to raise the issue on the repo.

In the meantime, I also wanted to point you to our new opentelemetry-javaagent + New Relic exporter bundle. It simplifies installation and will be better in having an exporter that is compatible with the javaagent as it develops and changes.

https://github.com/newrelic/newrelic-opentelemetry-integration-java

Again, sorry for the late response and I hope you do raise that issue for the exporter!

1 Like