Learn more

Close icon

JavaOne 2017 Takeaways

jvm
java
oracle
javaone

I attended JavaOne last week. Here are the my key takeaways:

+“Things have changed in the Java ecosytem probably more in the last 3 weeks than they have in the previous 13 years.” -James Governor, Redmonk

• JavaSE 9 was announced shortly before JavaOne. It took a long time to arrive, and it’s main feature is modularity (AKA Project Jigsaw), which should make it more microservice and container-friendly. (New Relic’s just announced our support for JavaSE 9.

• Oracle is waking up to “modern software development:” continuous integration, microservices, Kubernetes and even serverless (the Fn project)

• Chris Hansen came up with the great idea of sharing what New Relic can see in terms of what JDK options our customers are using in It’s Good to Have (JVM) Options.

• There was more emphasis on developers being responsible for running code than previous JavaOne conferences. (not just creating features, but making sure it runs well)

• There are lots of good tips in Eric Smalling’s Best Practices for Developing and Deploying Java Applications with Docker.

• In his session How the Mindset of DevOps Is Evolving, Patrick Debois, CEO, Zender.tv and “founder of the DevOps movement” said “If you are building it all yourself (rather than using existing services), I hope you can keep up with your competitors and maintain the pace.”

Overall, the health of Java is good. Please share any insights you gained from going to JavaOne or reading about it!

Thanks Tori! This is a great recap. I am especially excited to see that the project is moving towards a faster release cycle!