Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

JavaScript being inserted in HTML loaded via Ajax

rails
javascript
error
ajax

We’re trying out New Relic at the moment and we’ve run into an issue with modals loaded using Ajax. I’m afraid I can’t paste a link because for now we’re testing it in development but I’ll explain the problem as best I can.

We have a Rails app which uses an edit.js.erb view to load a user’s edit profile form in a modal. The modal is generated by the Magnific Popup jQuery library, triggered by a class on the “edit profile” link and the .js.erb file just loads the form into the generated modal like this: $(".mfp-content").html("<%= escape_javascript(render('form')) %>");.

The problem is that the New Relic agent is putting some JavaScript into the HTML which we’re inserting into the .mfp-content element. Here’s the relevant bit of the source:

<div class="mfp-content">
  <script type="text/javascript">window.NREUM||(NREUM={});NREUM.info={"beacon":"bam.nr-data.net","errorBeacon":"bam.nr-data.net","licenseKey":"1234567890","applicationID":"12345678","transactionName":"e1pcRhFfWg4DEx1DRldTW14GQxkHAghG","queueTime":0,"applicationTime":680,"agent":""}<button title="Close (Esc)" type="button" class="mfp-close">×</button></script>
  <script type="text/javascript">window.NREUM||(NREUM={}),__nr_require=function(e,n,t){function r(t){if(!n[t]){var o=n[t]={exports:{}};e[t][0].call(o.exports,function(n){var o=e[t][1][n];return r(o||n)},o,o.exports)}return n[t].exports}if("function"==typeof __nr_require)return __nr_require;for(var o=0;o<t.length;o++)r(t[o]);return r}({1:[function(e,n,t){function r(){}function o(e,n,t){return function(){return i(e,[c.now()].concat(u(arguments)),n?null:this,t),n?void 0:this}}var i=e("handle"),a=e(2),u=e(3),f=e("ee").get("tracer"),c=e("loader"),s=NREUM;"undefined"==typeof window.newrelic&&(newrelic=s);var p=["setPageViewName","setCustomAttribute","setErrorHandler","finished","addToTrace","inlineHit","addRelease"],d="api-",l=d+"ixn-";a(p,function(e,n){s[n]=o(d+n,!0,"api")}),s.addPageAction=o(d+"addPageAction",!0),s.setCurrentRouteName=o(d+"routeName",!0),n.exports=newrelic,s.interaction=function(){return(new r).get()};var m=r.prototype={createTracer:function(e,n){var t={},r=this,o="function"==typeof n;return i(l+"tracer",[c.now(),e,t],r),function(){if(f.emit((o?"":"no-")+"fn-start",[c.now(),r,o],t),o)try{return n.apply(this,arguments)}finally{f.emit("fn-end",[c.now()],t)}}}};a("setName,setAttribute,save,ignore,onEnd,getContext,end,get".split(","),function(e,n){m[n]=o(l+n)}),newrelic.noticeError=function(e){"string"==typeof e&&(e=new Error(e)),i("err",[e,c.now()])}},{}],2:[function(e,n,t){function r(e,n){var t=[],r="",i=0;for(r in e)o.call(e,r)&&(t[i]=n(r,e[r]),i+=1);return t}var o=Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty;n.exports=r},{}],3:[function(e,n,t){function r(e,n,t){n||(n=0),"undefined"==typeof t&&(t=e?e.length:0);for(var r=-1,o=t-n||0,i=Array(o<0?0:o);++r<o;)i[r]=e[n+r];return i}n.exports=r},{}],4:[function(e,n,t){n.exports={exists:"undefined"!=typeof window.performance&&window.performance.timing&&"undefined"!=typeof window.performance.timing.navigationStart}},{}],ee:[function(e,n,t){function r(){}function o(e){function n(e){return e&&e instanceof r?e:e?f(e,u,i):i()}function t(t,r,o,i){if(!d.aborted||i){e&&e(t,r,o);for(var a=n(o),u=m(t),f=u.length,c=0;c<f;c++)u[c].apply(a,r);var p=s[y[t]];return p&&p.push([b,t,r,a]),a}}function l(e,n){v[e]=m(e).concat(n)}function m(e){return v[e]||[]}function w(e){return p[e]=p[e]||o(t)}function g(e,n){c(e,function(e,t){n=n||"feature",y[t]=n,n in s||(s[n]=[])})}var v={},y={},b={on:l,emit:t,get:w,listeners:m,context:n,buffer:g,abort:a,aborted:!1};return b}function i(){return new r}function a(){(s.api||s.feature)&&(d.aborted=!0,s=d.backlog={})}var u="nr@context",f=e("gos"),c=e(2),s={},p={},d=n.exports=o();d.backlog=s},{}],gos:[function(e,n,t){function r(e,n,t){if(o.call(e,n))return e[n];var r=t();if(Object.defineProperty&&Object.keys)try{return Object.defineProperty(e,n,{value:r,writable:!0,enumerable:!1}),r}catch(i){}return e[n]=r,r}var o=Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty;n.exports=r},{}],handle:[function(e,n,t){function r(e,n,t,r){o.buffer([e],r),o.emit(e,n,t)}var o=e("ee").get("handle");n.exports=r,r.ee=o},{}],id:[function(e,n,t){function r(e){var n=typeof e;return!e||"object"!==n&&"function"!==n?-1:e===window?0:a(e,i,function(){return o++})}var o=1,i="nr@id",a=e("gos");n.exports=r},{}],loader:[function(e,n,t){function r(){if(!x++){var e=h.info=NREUM.info,n=d.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];if(setTimeout(s.abort,3e4),!(e&&e.licenseKey&&e.applicationID&&n))return s.abort();c(y,function(n,t){e[n]||(e[n]=t)}),f("mark",["onload",a()+h.offset],null,"api");var t=d.createElement("script");t.src="https://"+e.agent,n.parentNode.insertBefore(t,n)}}function o(){"complete"===d.readyState&&i()}function i(){f("mark",["domContent",a()+h.offset],null,"api")}function a(){return E.exists&&performance.now?Math.round(performance.now()):(u=Math.max((new Date).getTime(),u))-h.offset}var u=(new Date).getTime(),f=e("handle"),c=e(2),s=e("ee"),p=window,d=p.document,l="addEventListener",m="attachEvent",w=p.XMLHttpRequest,g=w&&w.prototype;NREUM.o={ST:setTimeout,SI:p.setImmediate,CT:clearTimeout,XHR:w,REQ:p.Request,EV:p.Event,PR:p.Promise,MO:p.MutationObserver};var v=""+location,y={beacon:"bam.nr-data.net",errorBeacon:"bam.nr-data.net",agent:"js-agent.newrelic.com/nr-1044.min.js"},b=w&&g&&g[l]&&!/CriOS/.test(navigator.userAgent),h=n.exports={offset:u,now:a,origin:v,features:{},xhrWrappable:b};e(1),d[l]?(d[l]("DOMContentLoaded",i,!1),p[l]("load",r,!1)):(d[m]("onreadystatechange",o),p[m]("onload",r)),f("mark",["firstbyte",u],null,"api");var x=0,E=e(4)},{}]},{},["loader"]);<button title="Close (Esc)" type="button" class="mfp-close">×</button></script>
  <meta name="robots" content="none">
  <div class="modal-bg"><button title="Close (Esc)" type="button" class="mfp-close">×</button></div>

<div class="form">
    <h3 class="form__heading">Edit Personal Profile</h3>
    <form>
      <!-- Form contents here -->
    </form>
    <button title="Close (Esc)" type="button" class="mfp-close">×</button>
  </div>
</div>

Somehow the <button> tag is ending up at the end of each line of JavaScript and the “x” inside it is causing an error: Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token.

We’re using version 4.5.0.337 of the newrelic_rpm gem with the default config for a Heroku integration.

I appreciate it might be hard to debug this without being able to see the page but does anyone have any idea how we can prevent the New Relic JS being inserted into HTML loaded via Ajax?

Thanks,
Simon

@sstarr Thanks for posting to the Community. One option you may want to try is using the NewRelic::Agent.ignore_enduser API call in the controller/action you do not want our JavaScript to be inserted.

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/ruby-agent/customization/ignoring-specific-transactions#page-load-timing-rum

I got the same ussue.

NewRelic::Agent.ignore_enduser in a controller action or
ignore_enduser at top controller level have no effect

@julien4 Thanks for your post. Did you recently add the API call? I’m wondering whether your app might still be serving pages with our JavaScript inserted into the page. Can you please try clearing your app’s cache or restarting your app?

If you’re still seeing the issue, please let us know. We’ll open a support ticket so we can take a look at how you’re calling the API and get a link to the page (or the page source) to where the JavaScript is being inserted.