Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

June Coffee Chat: New Relic One and Its Treasure

coffee-chat

June Coffee Chat :coffee:

Time to host another #coffee-chat in slack! This month, thanks to our fun Treasure Hunt initiative, we will be chatting about our new UI: New Relic One! This month our Coffee Chat will feature Joel Worrall—our Director of Programmability—master of New Relic One, and all the rubies it holds. @jworrall :gem: Come ask any and all questions about New Relic’s new UI.

What can you expect from a Coffee Chat ? It’s an entire hour dedicated to learning from New Relic experts! We move a conversation topic to slack and you can pepper our willing expert with questions in real time. I then take that conversation and publish it here, in the community! (Check out this one , and this one !)

Coffee Chats are a great opportunity to learn something new, share knowledge with each other in a casual setting, and share a virtual cup of coffee or tea with other New Relic Explorers.

Coffee Chat with Joel - New Relic One

• Topic: New Relic One Coffee Chat
  • Date: Wednesday, June 26, 2019
  • Time: 10 AM Pacific Time
  • Location Coffee Chat Slack Instance (#coffee-chat)

How to join the Coffee Chat Slack Channel

To get invited to our New Relic Users Slack workspace follow the instructions below:

1. Head over to the sign up page: https://newrelicusers-signup.herokuapp.com/
  2. Enter in your email address. Pretty soon you’ll receive an invite in your email inbox from Slack to join the New Relic Users workspace.
  3. Once you’re in the correct workspace, either through your browser or the Slack app you can navigate to the #coffee-chat channel . You’re welcome to also come to #introduce-yourselfto tell us a bit about you, and what your New Relic specialty subjects are . At the time the Coffee Chat is due to begin, come on into the #coffee-chat channel to ask your questions.

Note that this workspace isn’t always monitored outside of scheduled Coffee Chats. If you do have questions outside of the timeframe of the scheduled coffee chats, please post that question on the Explorers Hub.

See you on the 26th for some nerd-ing out on New Relic One treasure. :nerd_face:

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Linds [8:24 AM]
@here Today is Coffee Chat day! :coffee:

We are going to be discussing our Treasure Hunt and New Relic One with the one and only @Joel Worrall at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern. Hope you can join the discussion!

ReliableMK [8:25 AM]
:+1:

Linds [9:56 AM]
Last chance to grab a cup of joe :coffee:

We are starting in 5 minutes! :tada:

Raise your hand if you are in the pool to win the Apple AirPods! :wave:

Linds [10:00 AM]
And WELCOME!
We have Joel here! @joelworrall YAY!

Joel Worrall [10:00 AM]
Hi. :slightly_smiling_face:

Linds [10:01 AM]
Let’s officially kick this thing off: Joel, what is the BEST thing about New Reilc One?

Joel Worrall [10:02 AM]
There’s a lot obviously. It’s a huge step forward for New Relic as a platform. Of course, the thing I care the most about is our ability to build brand new user experiences on top on the platform using the programmable UI features.
We’re in the process of building out tools that customers (later this year) will be able to use to create custom experiences in the platform and launch them directly into New Relic, but in the meantime, we’re using those tools within our Services team to help solve some really thorny issues for customers with specific types of needs.

Joel Worrall [10:05 AM]
For instance, helping customers interact with and understand their systems better based on the business-specific relationships of their data. For instance, how does geography impact systems… and visualizing that in a map.
I’m curious what experiences others have had with New Relic One so far. What’s been helpful? What’s been something to get used to?

ZackM [10:07 AM]
“For instance, how does geography impact systems… and visualizing that in a map.”

Meaning a traditional floorplan/campus/geographical map; or still using the service/health map styles available in NR today?

Joel Worrall [10:08 AM]
Meaning the use of a geographic library like Leaflet to visualize information in a way that meets a specific customer (or industry’s) need.
For instance: you’re running a series of brick and mortar stores and just rolled out a new device to the sales floor.
And you’ve installed the infra agent on those devices, seeing the performance of those devices based on location… and then being able to combine that data with backend performance data from APM (or our new Lambda monitoring) all focused around the thing your business really cares about: the physical place where all that technology is being used to transact business.

Bishnu Bkt. Maharjan [10:12 AM]
how to get parameters used on the data comes from nrql on sqltraces?

Joel Worrall [10:12 AM]
But there’s a lot about New Relic One beyond that. I’m particularly excited about (in no particular order):

• the aforementioned Lambda monitoring experience
  • the cross-account search capabilities
  • the new dashboarding features
  • and the Chart Builder UI
    To name a few.

ZackM [10:13 AM]
dashboards in NR1 are really nice; add a way to get the URLs shorter for sharing and they’ll be even better :joy:

Joe [10:13 AM]
the urls got longer i think

Linds [10:14 AM]
More is more, right? :wink:

ZackM [10:14 AM]
TIL @Linds has been hanging out with the sales team too much… :wink:
@joelworrall - what’s the feature that you think hasn’t been broadcast enough? where are the hidden gems?

Juey Ong [10:16 AM]
I don’t mean to throw cold water, but while most of my existing dashboards look great in NR1, some charts don’t work as well. e.g. text that wrapped in NR Insights charts don’t wrap in NR1, and so visibility is reduced.

Joel Worrall [10:17 AM]
It seems to me that we’re all still getting used to the Entity Explorer as a concept, but I think the ability to understand the relationships between entities then quickly navigate through from (from an overview level) is super useful.

Juey Ong [10:17 AM]
Is there some customization I can do to make text wrap?

Joel Worrall [10:18 AM]
Especially as your environment get more complex, the cross-product navigation experience in the original suite of products can be… suboptimal. :slightly_smiling_face:
So having the ability to explore w/o the products getting in the way is a real benefit.
It’s also going to be a huge thing for training as we launch more and more monitoring capabilities.

ZackM [10:18 AM]
we have > 250 sub-accounts with a decent amount of middleware teams; NR1 has solved HUGE problems for us in that regard

Joel Worrall [10:19 AM]
You don’t have to re-train your brain with a new UI paradigm, etc. just because there’s a new “thing” (entity) you’re monitoring.

Joe [10:20 AM]
@ZackM how are the NR agent upgrades going for all the apps now that the deadline is approaching?

ZackM [10:21 AM]
I don’t think we have any APM agents that are coming EOL; if we have 100 agents in our setup; 99 are infrastructure to every 1 APM; our teams are evolving and adding APM; but the cutoff isn’t excessively impactful to us today

Joe [10:22 AM]
you guys are lucky in that regard then

ZackM [10:24 AM]
agreed; i’m working on some default dashboards to deploy to all the accounts and Agent Version is definitely one of the charts :wink:

Linds [10:24 AM]
sounds super smart ^

Joe [10:26 AM]
yea NR through us a dashboard with all that Agent Version info displayed as a heads up … LUL

ZackM [10:26 AM]
we’ve had to shift a lot of our traditional thinking since we’ve built NR as a self-service platform; guiding vs doing; a lot of our approach now is to show app teams the things that we, as monitoring engineers, do without even thinking; agent version upkeep is a huge part of that

Joe [10:26 AM]
it’s beautifully illustrates all the agents that will be EOL come the deadline … :slightly_smiling_face:

ZackM [10:26 AM]
and NR1 has really enhanced the experience as well; the Chart builder was a GREAT addition that lowers the barrier to app teams learning how to fish, so to speak
i’ve reverse engineered a few queries myself with it by starting with the basic, then flipping to advanced to see the NRQL behind the curtain

Joel Worrall [10:27 AM]
@ZackM that kind of thinking is so huge in motivating real change. +1.

FWIW, I use some of the same types of techniques (guiding vs. doing) here w/r/t to exposing our internal teams to the programmable features in New Relic One.
One of the other things I really appreciate about the platform is the way our product team was pretty thoughtful about how to navigate from New Relic One into the original product experiences.
Obviously, over time, our hope and intention is to someday subsume the functionality of the original products into those unified experience, but that’s as much a human problem to solve for as it is a technical problem to work through.
I think we’re being pretty thoughtful about the change mgmt. part of introducing a platform like this. So if you’re a user that doesn’t want anything to change, it doesn’t have to for you right now. If you need what New Relic One can offer, it’s there for you… and let’s you find your way into the original product when appropriate.

Joel Worrall [10:39 AM]
I was looking through the clues for the treasure hunt thread (It's a Treasure Hunt! Share What You Find & Win Prizes!), and really liked this one: “Find a service map that has multiple incoming and outgoing connections and take a screenshot of the services tab in the Dependency Table sorted by average HTTP response time.” I love the idea of being surprised the connections in your own system… as it’s a reality for all of us that the dependency map could be changing regularly based on innovation. Did anyone else get something out of that exercise? (edited)

Linds [10:42 AM]
This contest has been SO great: we don’t always get so much participation, and I think that we have New Relic One to thank. hopefully it was a good learning experience, and a chance to explore some new features.

…maybe the grand prize helped the engagement, too.

Joel Worrall [10:45 AM]
I’m curious if there’s anyone who’s experiencing challenges in trying to get a wholistic picture of their systems and how/if New Relic One can better support those needs. One of the things I’m seeing a lot is the need for “Estate Mgmt.” (i.e. I’ve got 30k entities under mgmt. and my boss(es) need to know what the current state of the estate is presently). More of a NOC view. Is that a concern for anyone on this channel.

ZackM [10:46 AM]
i think most of our teams are definitely used to customizable noc views showing overall health; that’s a popular ask for us to build

Joel Worrall [10:49 AM]
That’s helpful to hear @ZackM. That’s been one of the issues I’ve been exploring in the group I lead at New Relic (Labs). We’ve been working on ways to help equip customers to respond to those needs with better tools and components in the (to-be-released) programmable UI SDK. For now, I’m working closely with a few customers and the teams in NR that serve them to prototype solution patterns for that.

Linds [10:56 AM]
Your candor is very refreshing, @joelworrall - thanks for keeping us in the loop and letting us know that New Relic One has some big, exciting plans in the future.

Where can this group go to learn more about the future programmability features you mentioned above? There isn’t currently a place in the Explorers Hub to talk about that, but there could be! What do you all think?

Joel Worrall [10:56 AM]
I’d be up for that if there was interest in the community.

Linds [10:57 AM]
Awesome—I think it would be really beneficial for others to share what works for them when the time comes!
I think we should call it! Let’s end there—thank you all SO much for joining!
See you all next time! :coffee:

:wave: