Kafka Java agent limit metrics saved or reported

###Java Agent Question Template

openjdk version “1.8.0_212”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.38.0.13-CA-linux64) (build 1.8.0_212-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.38.0.13-CA-linux64) (build 25.212-b04, mixed mode)

wget -O newrelic.jar https://download.run.pivotal.io/new-relic/new-relic-5.10.0.jar

Is this a configuration issue?
YES likely

• Are you not seeing data? What frameworks are you using?
    SEEING TOO MUCH

• Describe what you are seeing:
    Too much Kafka metrics.

50 results for MessageBroker/Kafka/Internal/KafkaMetricName

Metric Category

Kafka/Internal/kafka-metrics-count/count
MessageBroker/Kafka/Internal/kafka-metrics-count/count MessageBroker

Kafka/Internal/producer-metrics/metadata-age
MessageBroker/Kafka/Internal/producer-metrics/metadata-age MessageBroker

• How does what you are seeing differ from what you expect to see?
    Need to see less mertrics and control the amount.
    Have less of them reported back to NR insights. be able to better manage what gets reported back or conrol time to live of certain metrics.

Hi @Ken.MacPherson,

The metrics you’re getting are standard as expected. Looking at the list from the Metric Explorer page, the Java agent automatically reports lots of Kafka metrics out-of-the-box identified from your app. This feature was added in version 4.12.0 of the agent. Kindly, review our online documentation for more information on what kafka metrics are reported to Insights.
However, it seem you’re running Kafka on Confluent cloud, is that correct? I’m not sure we can reduce the amount of kafka metrics we’re reporting to Insights. However, I’m happy to investigate this further with you, and gather some more information about your set-up

As next step, I’ll go ahead and create an internal ticket to work with you outside of the New Relic community forum to assist with this request. Kindly, look-out for a corresponding e-mail from New Relic Support.

Thank you.