Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Kubernetes Integration doesn't count as an application?

I’m trying out new relic kubernetes integration for feeding data and alerts to a statuspage.io dashboard.
I have add the integration to my kubernetes cluster, I’ve launch the query to see that data is been collected in insight and generated the REST API key.
If I try to use the key to link the account I receive the following message

Remote validation of your credentials failed, or you have no applications associated with your account.

And in fact, if I try my key on the API explorer and request the list of my application I receive an empty array.
I’ve searched the documentation to see if I have to add something else to create an application but I found nothing. What I’m doing wrong?

Info:

New relic account with EU data
Web Pro CU Trial
Mobile Lite
Insights Pro Trial
Browser Lite
Synthetics Lite
Infrastructure Pro Trial
Kubernetes cluster v 1.10.6-gke.2 on GKE with Google Container-Optimized OS

Hi, @jacopo.giola: Infrastructure Integrations send data to New Relic Infrastructure, not APM. You will need to run the Kubernetes integration on a host that has the New Relic Infrastructure agent installed. The data will not appear as an application, and is not accessible via the REST API. Rather, you should see a dashboard with your Kubernetes data under Infrastructure > Integrations.

If you want to monitor your applications, you should install the appropriate New Relic APM agent(s).

Just a small precision, the Kubernetes integration installs as a daemonset (link to the install instructions); installing an agent on the hosts (Kubernetes nodes) is not required.

Ok got it, so I can’t use the data harvested by the deamon set to power custom components on statuspage.io but I have to integrate directly inside some of our pods the related agent and send that data to it right?
But then I will have the data from my kubernetes cluster in two different spot? One inside APM and one inside infrastructure?

Hi @jacopo.giola,

That is correct.

The K8s integration (part of our Infrastructure offering) will monitor your kubernetes cluster from an infrastructure perspective, i.e. nodes, namespaces, pods, pod restarts, pod status, containers cpu and memory usage, etc…

The APM Agent will monitor the performance of your applications code, either they are deployed within a k8s environment or in a simple legacy way. You will need to deploy the agent for the development language you’re using, to have visibility on your apps.

They are different products that may be used together to give you full stack visibility for both, your Application performance and the underlying infrastructure.

Cheers,

You can build a dashboard that combines Application and Infrastructure data.
Additionally, we are launching new visualisations that combine infrastructure and applications.
More details about the Kubernetes Cluster Explorer in this blog post.