Maintenance Windows - allow scripts to run but not alert

I think much of this functionality exists (muting monitors), but is it possible to create a maintenance window that allows the scripts to run but not alert?

Use case: some of our scripts are used to ‘prime’ the systems (caching etc) and are expected to run slowly in certain circumstances.

Be good to let them run but not alert.

Hi @bevan - This is available in beta form.

Thanks @stefan_garnham, I have the maintenance window beta, but not a ‘run script but don’t alert’ option. You know if that is on the way?

As a work-round, we’ve looked at running duplicate scripts (one that is always muted) and have two maintenance windows.

Bit ugly though.

Hmm, if these scripts do not need any alerting and are only run to prime systems then could you not remove them from alerting policies?

1 Like

Exactly. Duplicate the scripts, run one to prime with a 23h:45m maintenance window set with notifications ‘off’ - this would then run once when the priming is needed and never alert.
The duplicate script would then run with notifications ‘on’ and have a second maintenance window associated.

In any event, two maintenance windows are needed. The option to run but not alert ties the notifications functionality to the maintenance window, not the script.

1 Like

Hey @bevan - To do this just as you are requesting would definitely be a feature idea (which I can happily create!). You are on the right track for a workaround though.

It maybe best to use the REST API to manage this, and incorporate that as part of your workflow - like running a script that makes API calls to programmatically set a bunch of the monitors to muted when needed: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/apis/synthetics-rest-api/monitor-examples/manage-synthetics-monitors-rest-api#patch-monitor

Let me know if that helps make this a little less difficult.

The rest api has it’s place, but for this case I think we’ll stick with what we have. We’re also the ‘availability police’ - so if the workflow is delayed and the monitors dont come back online in the SLA, we wouldnt see the impact. Fixed maintenance windows let us do this nicely.

1 Like

Fair enough @bevan - thanks for being so thoughtful!

When I first was working with the Synthetics API to create/delete/pause/resume our monitors, I saw the Synthetics check had 3 status options (ENABLED, MUTED, DISABLED). I found that Muted continued to let the Synthetic check hit the sites, but didn’t alert. But it also had the unwanted effect of counting as a outage in the up-time stats. As such, I went with the disabled state for when I need to pause our monitors. Consider your company’s value in the up-time number, with whatever solution you go with.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mike.G. Considering this, the separate script/maintenance window and alerts might be the way to go anyway.

1 Like