Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

MS SQL plugin not reporting to dashboard

plugins

Good day, guys.
I have installed and configured SQL plugin.

This is from plugin.json:
“agents”: [
{
“_comment” : “This is an example of how you would monitor an on-premises SQL instance, remove this section if you are not using SQL Server or duplicate this section if you have multiple servers.”,
“type” : “sqlserver”,
“name” : “QA DB”,
“connectionString” : “Server=localhost;Database=master;User Id=;Password=;”,
“includeSystemDatabases” : “true”,
“_includesComment” : “An array of JSON objects containing a property ‘name’ which is the name of the database you would like to include in your monitoring.”,
“includes” : [

],
  "excludes" : [

]
},

Windows service is succesfully started.

But my dashboard is empty

Hi @lo1,

I want to preface by saying that New Relic is moving away from the MSSQL plugin and towards its replacement, the MSSQL Infrastructure On-Host Integration. This will be the long-term solution for MSSQL monitoring so I recommend becoming acquainted with it. Here is the documentation on this:

This requires an Infrastructure Pro subscription. The MSSQL integration is a technical improvement upon the plugin and enjoys better support. This means that once you get started with it your current issue will most likely be resolved. I would be happy to help you get started with it and get it installed. That being said, if this is not an option for you right now then I would also be happy to continue working with you on the plugin instead. Let me know which option you think is best.

Hey @lo1 - Was Gene’s message helpful? Let us know if you’re still facing issues :smiley:

Sorry I missed Gene’s response. We do not have the infrastructure pro subscription and have no plans to purchase it in the immediate future. So yes can you please help us with the plugin. Thank you. Having said that, can you give us a quote on the infrastructure pro subscription? We may entertain that option down the road depending on the cost.

Thanks @lo1 -

I just got connected with your account team and someone will be reaching out shortly with Infrastructue information for you. In the meantime, we’re tapping @gjohnson back in to help you with the existing plugin.

Hi @lo1 thanks for the update. I will outline a few steps for you to follow to help you discover the source of the problem:

1. Confirm that the host on which the plugin runs meets the following requirements:
    • OS is Windows 7/Server 2008 or later
    • DB is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or later
    • .NET 3.5 is installed. v3.5 must be present even if later versions are as well
  1. Run the following command for 1-2 minutes and observe the output:
    • npi start com.newrelic.platform.microsoft.sqlserver --foreground
  1. Generate debug logs according to the instructions here:
  • Then find the logs and configs at the following directories:

• ..\plugins\com.newrelic.platform.microsoft.sqlserver\newrelic_mssql_plugin\config
    • ..\plugins\com.newrelic.platform.microsoft.sqlserver\newrelic_mssql_plugin\logs

By examining the output generated from these steps you should be able to find relevant errors or warnings. Let me know if you find any that you need help making sense of.

I see the following error in the log. Any idea how to address that?

2019-08-30 14:09:06.7758|ERROR|MetricCollector|Error sending data to the collector

Hi @lo1 this would indicate that your host can’t communicate with our collector, so the first thing I would check is if you can contact the relevant IP’s from that host which you can find on this page:

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/apm/new-relic-apm/getting-started/networks#infrastructure

What protocol would we use? TCP?

BTW we also have the infrastructure agent running on the same machine and that agent is reporting fine to NR

Hi, @lo1: Are you by chance using our EU data center? Plugins are not supported in the EU region.

I don’t think so. Is that specified in a config file? I should say the NR dashboard does seem to recognize both plugins as being installed since the dashboard displays the proper names of both plugins that were specified in the config file. However, the issue is that there’s no information at all for the two plugins. Everything is blank.

Apologies the Plugin collector endpoint is not included in that doc I sent you, here is the correct Doc:

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/plugins/plugin-developer-resources/developer-reference/plugin-api-specification#metric_data_post

The exact URL they send metrics to is https://platform-api.newrelic.com/platform/v1/metrics. so it is different to the Infra agent so it will be necessary to make sure that is accessible from the host, you can perform a wget to test this.

I’ve seen in the past these errors tend to occur when TLS 1.0 is disabled. Which leads me to the next question, do you have TLS 1.0 disabled on your server?

The MSSQL Plugin targets .NET 3.5 which by default only supports TLS 1.0. We can change this behavior though by setting the registry keys described here: