Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

.net core information very limited

Hi, I’ve been using new relic with php and was very impressed with the amount of information an how easy you could pinpoint bottlenecks. With new relic I could see transaction, database selects, inserts, external calls etc.

I have now installed new relic in an alpine docker container (.net core 2.2) which is using entity framework. The only information I’m getting on a transaction is:
(percentages are the “% Time” column from the transaction)

WebTransaction: /myEndpoint/get 0%
DotNet: MyEndpointController.get(): 43%
Middleware pipeline: 57%

Is it possible to get more information? When using it with php I would get a lot of details in my Breakdown table or really deep diving with the transaction traces

Here I have only the 3 lines in the breakdown table and no transaction traces. Am I doing something wrong or is it like this for .net core?

I have found that I can manually put [Trace] on the methods that I want to measure, but what I really like about new relic is that you know where the problem is when something unexpected breaks without having to specify it manually.

How can I get much more information in my traces and can I make it work with Entity framework? Is manual [Trace] the only way?

Thanks
/Brian

@brian83

The php agent instruments more methods out of the box than does the .NET agent so you are running into that difference.

Out of the box the .NET agent will monitor:

• Transaction boundaries
  • Controller-type methods
  • SQL database calls
  • No sql calls (redis and mongo)
  • External calls.
  • Message queue calls

Adding the [Trace] attribute to methods and/or using XML based custom instrumentation is the way to extend the .NET agent’s instrumentation. The agent doesn’t instrument every method executed during the course of a transaction.

The agent’s thread profiling feature is another way to see performance data and is not related to the instrumentation described above.