Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

.Net Custom Instrumentation Issue

.netagent

Hello,

I am a planning to customer instrumentation of a .Net application.

Please let me know how to find out the assemblyName, className and className of a .Net application.

Thanks & Regards,
Baskar Gajendran

Hi, @Baskar.Gajendran: One of our customers created this tool to generate an XML file containing all of the class and method names in a .NET assembly:

Please note that this tool is not supported by New Relic. If you use it, you are on your own. :slight_smile:

Hi @Baskar.Gajendran

As @philweber mentioned you can use the Pablissimo tool, however it should be noted that it is not
officaly supported by us.

All of the attributes that you have mentioned can be found in your application code

Category/Name: Defines the transaction type. The New Relic UI groups transactions under these names in the transaction type field. The category and name must both be specified, and must be separated by a slash.
AssemblyName: The assembly that contains the trigger method.
NameSpace.ClassName: The fully-qualified class name that contains the trigger method.
MethodName: The exact name of the trigger method.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you, this link will give you more of an insight into this https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/net-agent/custom-instrumentation/create-transactions-xml-net

Near the bottom of the page you will see that there are some very simple examples that should point you in the right direction. If you are stuck reach out and my self or one of the other Engineers can help you further.

Nemo

I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds good @Baskar.Gajendran - I look forward to hearing how that goes.

In the meantime, another colleague here has suggested that the below post on custom instrumentation may help your use case.