New Feature Request: synthetics checks from mobile networks

Hey Gang,

An interesting use-case presented itself today. We had a DNS error for one of our sites that caused our domain to resolve to a parked IP. The fix was put in place immediately, and our desktop users never really experienced a problem, however, on most mobile networks, the issue persisted for almost 24 hours.

In our case, it would’ve been amazing to have synthetics checks which originated from mobile devices (on mobile carriers) which would have both alerted us to the error sooner, and allowed us to monitor the fallout more closely.

Not sure if this is something that’s ever come up before, but thought I’d bring it up, at the very least.

Cheers!

Aaron

1 Like

Hey @aaronsnyder thank you for the feedback! This is a great idea and I’ll be submitting a feature request to our Product Management team with the use-case details you’ve provided. Other than Synthetics monitor traffic originating from cellular networks, is there any other kind of functionality/visibility you would envision Synthetics providing in this scenario?

Thanks again!

Hey Bob!

That’s great, thanks very much! Assuming you’re scripting browsers on
mobile devices, on mobile networks, screen shots from the device would be
helpful, along with providing information about what type of device is
being used and what network the device is on.

I appreciate your response and consideration.

Cheers!

Aaron

1 Like

Wondering if this is now available?

@neeraj.mekala Welcome to the community and for your question. I’ll need to do some digging to see what happened to this feature request. Will update as soon as I learn more! :slight_smile:

@neeraj.mekala +1

@JoiConverse
I would also be interested in this as well as allowing the synthetic to simulate an actual mobile device (not just setting headers/cookies as this doesn’t change the window.navigator for example).
Also ability to limit the network threshold (this might be possible via a custom NR minion, but it would be nice for NR minions also) to simulate a mobile device even more would be great. If there are any plans (any dates?) on this then please let me know, would really appreciate it.

@eryk.kolodziej and @neeraj.mekala Its unclear where this original feature ended up. To bring it back to the attention of our product team I’m going to open up a new request. Will continue to update this thread when there is something to share. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like