Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

New Relic APM as a side car container on Openshift pods

openshift
kubernetes

Hey!, Im pretty new to New Relic as a whole and ive recently been pulled in by this sidecar concept.
We are upgrading Openshift Versions and In the new cluster I want to see if I can deploy APM as a sidecar container on Openshift pods. Im in mostly a Java shop so the Java Agent is what ive been looking at
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/java-agent/getting-started/introduction-new-relic-java

The goal is to not have New Relic on the app container for update purposes. But to have the APM on its own container in the same pod as the app container so that we can decouple those 2 things.

We used to have new relic jar file on a file system that gets called by the deployment config.

If anyone has any info or experience or docs on running new relic on a side car container it would be really helpful.

Thanks

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @bliu1! If I am understanding your needs/goals correctly, I want to let you that functionality does not technically exist out-of-the-box in the New Relic product.

Since that is the case I have added a poll so that others who need this can vote on it! And also, this post will remain public so the community can chime in if they have ideas or workarounds for how to get you closer to your proposed solution.

Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks for jumping in!