New Relic Infrastructure Agent service will not start

I have installed the New Relic Infrastructure Agent on a Windows server running Microsoft SQL Server.

First I followed the guided installer using PowerShell in Admin mode and it failed to launch. I uninstalled everything and deleted all folders in Program Files and AppData folders and reinstalled manually using the latest MSI and hit the same problem.

Event viewer reported ‘Application SID does not match Conductor SID’ warning which according to a google search means that the service is being started with an account without the correct elevated permissions. I don’t believe this to be the case as I’ve issued the start command as an admin.

I can run the non service exe in PowerShell as an Admin and it works fine. I can see data being logged on the server in my New Relic account. It’s just the service won’t start.

This post from 2017 suggests the problem has been fixed, but it is not the case:

I have requested that the server be restarted to see if that makes a difference, but any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.