New Relic metrics SSLError

Hello Team,
We are getting following error when trying to connect to new relic API

"HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘metric-api.eu.newrelic.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /metric/v1 (Caused by SSLError(SSLEOFError(8, ‘EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:1131)’)))",

Can someone help ?

Hi @sakshee.singh

Thanks for reaching out, I hope you are well.

To gain a better insight here can you share a permalink to where you are noting the issue occur. Additionally can you share a screenshot of the issue & error message noted.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi @dcody,
Thank you for your response.

The error occurs when Lambda function is trying to connect to NR endpoint.
I have attached the error screenshot above.
Looking forward to your reply.

FWIW: I’m seeing similar using the newrelic_telemetry_sdk Python package, specifically send_batch():

An exception was thrown when sending metrics with error: EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:1129)

FWIW2: My code appeared to be working correctly a couple days ago…

In my case, I lost my proxy settings required to reach the New Relic REST endpoint due to a computer reset. Once re-established, I no longer got the exception.

1 Like

Hi @steven.rosenberry and @sakshee.singh

Thanks for reaching out, I hope you are well.

I have gone ahead and looped the Support API team, as this is out of my scope. Please note they will reach out via this post soon.

Should you have any additional questions or updates please do reach out.

Hello @sakshee.singh,

This looks like a network error; have you ensured that the endpoint is reachable from where you’re running the function?

Also, are you using the Python APM agent or AWS lambda monitoring?

Hello @ntierney , it resolved on its own, I am not sure what rectified it we didnot make any changes to the python code.
yes AWS lambda monitoring is being used.

1 Like

Hi @sakshee.singh

Glad to hear its resolved.

If the issue appears again please do reach out!

HI @steven.rosenberry

The issue appears to have been resolved for other users, can you confirm if you are still facing the issue.

For anyone who reads this later, our Lambda monitoring solution doesn’t send to the metric-api.eu.newrelic.com/metric/v1 endpoint. That’s more for sending custom data from anywhere (Lambda included).
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/data-apis/ingest-apis/metric-api/introduction-metric-api/

Lambda monitoring sends to:
https://github.com/newrelic/newrelic-lambda-extension/blob/b19d632949e32fd998d4440c483ee296afef3393/telemetry/client.go#L24-L27