Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

New Relic Nuget Package for .NET Standard

Hi, your documentation is really unclear I’m afraid. Is there a NuGet package for the New Relic agent x86 or x64 that contains .NET 4.61 and .NET Standard assemblies?

I’m trying to add New Relic to a .NET Core app, for deployment to Azure, and the only package I can find is compiled against .NET 4.6.1 (NewRelic.Agent.Api version 8.1.712)

@g_bunce -

It sounds like you want to monitor an asp.net core app that runs under the framework CLR on Azure.

If that’s the case then you can use one of the nuget packages NewRelic.Azure.WebSites.x64 or NewRelic.Azure.WebSites depending on the bitness of your instance.

You can also avoid the use of nuget packages by installing the agent via the New Relic extension as documented here.

Then I would recommend following the instructions provided here and pay special attention to the instructions found in the section “Special step for ASP.NET Core apps running on .NET Framework”

I hope that helps!

Hi, sorry for the delay - your reply had gone to my spam folder :frowning:

I want to monitor an ASP.NET Core 2.0 and ASP.NET Core 2.1 app, that is running on a Linux based Web App host. Last time I checked, your packages only contain references for .NET Framework 4.6.1 projects. It’s my understanding that they should also have .NET Standard 2.0 references to ensure they work correctly under .NET Core 2.0 / 2.1.

From what I understand, as they are running on a Linux host I cannot target .NET Framework 4.6.1 ?

Hi there @g_bunce,

Currently if your ASP.NET Core 2.0 app targets the .NET Framework, you won’t be able to instrument it with the agent in Linux as the Windows-only .NET Framework agent would need to be used. I should also note that .NET Core 2.1 is not currently supported by our .NET agents.

Sorry I don’t have better news at this time!

Neil

Two things then:

• When is .NET CORE 2.1 support expected?
  • Reading between the lines on this thread, you don’t support an app targeting just netcore2.0, you only support an app targeting net46. This is why you keep talking about “If your ASP.NET Core 2.0 app targets the .NET Framework”. My app does not target net46, and I’ve never said it does, it only targets netcore2.0 (or netcore 2.1)

This comes back to my original point, which is that your documentation is unclear over what you do, and what you don’t support and how to make it happen.

For example, this link https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/net-agent/installation/install-net-core-20-agent-linux suggests that you do support running on Linux. You seem to be hinting that you don’t. See why I’m confused?

@g_bunce,

Sorry for the confusion here. Your original question:

Is there a NuGet package for the New Relic agent x86 or x64 that contains .NET 4.61 and .NET Standard assemblies?

…led us to believe you had a .NET Core app targeting 4.61 libraries.

I’m happy to answer your questions.

Regarding support for .NET CORE 2.1, here is our latest update on that from the product team:

There are two different .NET agents. The .NET Core agent is for monitoring your netcore2.0 application and can run in Linux. The .NET Framework agent can only run in Windows and can monitor .NET Framework apps as well as .NET Core apps targeting .NET Standard assemblies.

Apps that are running .NET Core are fully supported in Linux as mentioned on our documentation page:

The .NET Core 2.0 agent only supports applications targeting .NET Core 2.0.

Apps that are running .NET Core that also target Framework libraries are only supported in Windows as they require the Framework agent. This agent only runs in Windows (not Linux), as mentioned on our docs page:

I hope that helps clear things up.

Let me know if you have further questions.