What is Happening
On Wednesday, June 16th, 2021, New Relic will no longer support or maintain Plugins. Any plugin that is currently in use should be replaced by the New Relic Infrastructure agent. Along with support and maintenance, we will be removing access to the current plugin pages on the New Relic One platform.
We recommend that you begin reviewing the plugins in use and begin planning to replace the plugin agents prior to June. The New Relic Infrastructure agent provides more features, events and metrics based reporting. By default, the Infrastructure agent captures data that is displayed in the New Relic One infrastructure view, where you’ll be able to view how transactions span your platform in the context of distributed traces. Providing a more detailed view into your platform’s performance.
- On June 16th, 2021, the plugin pages, including dashboards, will no longer be supported or accessible in New Relic One.
- To prevent any risk of monitoring lapse, we recommend that you begin replacing your plugins now.
Why we are doing this
Plugins were initially created to expand the New Relic monitoring footprint beyond Ruby applications. The technology used to monitor and collect this data is outdated. We have since created and maintain agents that are designed to specifically monitor infrastructure and other platform components. These agents are designed for performance and capture a more granular level of data (events) vs plugins which are limited to metric data.
I’m using a plugin to monitor my platform, which agent should I use instead of the plugin?
- The best option will be to use the New Relic Infrastructure Agent. If you find that the infrastructure agent does not meet your requirements, there are a number of on host integrations available to align with your monitoring needs.
- You can also build your own integration using the New Relic Infrastructure Flex framework.
- If you are not able to find what you are looking for, please contact your account team to further help identify the best agent that aligns with your needs.
What happens to my data?
- The plugin data will continue to be retained following the New Relic retention period.
- Once the infrastructure agent is used, data will be stored in NRDB and available to view on New Relic One, your New Relic account data retention period will be applied.