Close icon

New Relic's x-ray-sessions will be discontinued on April 17, 2019

ruby
java
python
rfb

New Relic’s x-ray sessions will be discontinued on April 17, 2019

Why is it going away?

While we recognize that x-ray may be helpful to diagnose timeouts and other performance issues, we are not quite satisfied with the lack of correlation and fine grained control our users need to identify production issues from the data generated by an x-ray session. As our platform evolved, x-ray hasn’t gotten better. We would like the opportunity to address this problem more holistically going forward.

What can I do without x-ray sessions?

There are New Relic tools that can help troubleshoot problematic performance issues in New Relic in lieu of x-ray. In all agents, users can configure transaction traces and set custom Apdex thresholds for key transactions that will help you understand the performance of your system. Furthermore, by using the thread profile tool, you can capture stack traces that may further aid identification of bottlenecks.

We’d love to hear from you!

If you have any suggestions, concerns, or comments, please do let us know! We’d love to understand how we can create the best tool you need to maintain the health of your system.

pinned #2

While I don’t use the x-ray tool frequently. It is half the value of your product. It makes no sense to remove this.

The thread profiler generally just gets drowned in noise since a key transaction can be giving slow responses but not necessarily taking up much of the total cpu of the servers. This makes it appear as a low down in the thread profile with 0% for all data points and no way to distinguish between the branches.

The profile in the x-ray shows only percentages of the total for the key transaction itself meaning the performance hogs can be easily identified.

I agree with Sindri, I’m very bummed to lose this feature. Nothing else I’ve seen is as fine-grained as XRay. It has been very useful to me in finding hot spots in deep/dependency code as opposed to just at an API level.

Hi there @Zack.Kendall & @sindri -

I’ve had a chat with @kchu here to discuss your feedback, and we want to firstly thank you for adding your point of view.

Secondly there are a number of issues with X-Ray sessions as they currently exist. As described in the original post here. For these reasons we are moving to deprecate X-Ray Sessions.

With that said, we definitely understand the value our customers gain from features like X-Ray Sessions. We will continue to work on new features you’ll see coming down the line that will get you the level of granularity you look for in X-Ray sessions. While we have no current ETA for that, it’s definitely on our radar.

Deprecate is very different than discontinue or remove. Can we get some clarity about what will happen April 17? Will it be removed from the UI completely without the ability to access?

Seems like short notice.

Hi @6MM Sorry about the confusion.

This is a EOL and not a deprecation. The ability to access x-ray will be removed.

Hey @6MM - Sorry my usage of deprecate caused confusion :slightly_frowning_face: - Hopefully @kchu was able to clarify that for you while I was offline.

Like others had mentioned, x-ray is one of the features we frequently used for diagnosing performance issues. It’s very unfortunate to see it removed.

Interested in knowing how soon a similar feature is going to be introduced.

We will keep you updated when we have more information for a similar feature as x-ray.

I’d say it’s pretty unusual to remove a feature with this short of a notice. It’s a reduction in service which is ultimately a licence and contract issue.

This feature is being used very frequently by various team in my organization and I see a huge impact due to this. Can we have this re-instantiated if not replaced by any new feature soon.