Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Newrelic APM nodejs agent causing intermittent proxy errors while accessing web application

nodejs

Hi Newrelic,

Our frontend code is with nodejs. we have newrelic apm nodejs agent in place, after the newrelic installation, our web application throwing proxy errors intermittently, this took us lot of time for debugging.

when we removed the agent, then the app is working fine. can anyone please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
YG

Just want to give additional info…

our frontend app runs behind a apache proxy and reaches to backend tomcat server.

-Yogesh

Hello YG!

Could you expand on what Node framework you are using.
Understanding your front end structure would be helpful to understanding your scenario.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the Reply.

Node Framework = React JS

we are running this react app inside a node docker container, and this docker is behind the apache reverse proxy and this app also contacts back-end tomcat api server and mongo db database.

Plz let me know, if you need any other information.

Thanks again.
-Yogesh

Hey @yogeshsurapaneni!

If you’re looking to monitor a front-end application, you’ll need to use New Relic for Browser instead!

Here’s a link to our documentation to get you started on that:

Cheers!

–Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the reply,

I am told by the newrelic team that APM works for both frontend and backend systems and also for configuring newrelic browser recommended step is to install APM first.

So, I don’t understand how you are saying that APM is not the one for frontend, can you please provide me some additional documentation.

Thanks,
YG

Hi, @yogeshsurapaneni: This is not correct; New Relic APM is for backend only. The Node agent cannot be used to monitor frontend applications, although it can inject the Browser agent into client-side web pages.