[Node] Abnormal long transaction - truncated duration

Hi,

I am trying to investigate over 10 seconds transactions shown in the Transactions window under Services - APM.

After I clicked on one of the over 10 seconds transactions I see that some external component is taking 10 seconds in the Transaction trace window. But there is a question mark icon after the Slowest components column entry saying that the duration was truncated because the segment continued after the transaction trace ends (see attached screenshot).

So what this message means? We were able to track the time it takes for the component related service to response for this particular transaction and it is below 50 ms, so where is the 10 seconds coming from?

Also if I go to the Distributed Tracing window with the same time window I can find a trace duration that takes over 55 minutes :astonished: even though the Back-end Duration is a mere 187.80 ms (see screenshot below). How is this possible?

Thanks,

Mathieu

1 Like

Hi @mathieu.stpierre -

Welcome to the community! I’d like to take a look at your issue, but I’ll need some more information to proceed. First, can you clarify whether you are using custom instrumentation?

Moreover, could you share a link to your application in New Relic One? Only those on your account and New Relic Admins will be able to view your application. To create a permalink within the New Relic, you can use the ‘Share’ button in the top right corner under your user profile or share the full URL from any page.

Hi @sbedi

Thanks for your answer. I don’t think we are using custom instrumentation as our server is written in NodeJS which is a platform supported out of the box by New Relic if I am not mistaken.

As for sharing a link of the application how would you be able to see the dashboard pointing by this link if you don’t have the authorization?

Hi @mathieu.stpierre -

As a New Relic admin, I’d be able to view the dashboard link - this will help us to better understand the delayed transactions.

Hi @sbedi

Ah great :slight_smile:

On the page https://onenr.io/0DvwBW9oPRp if you go to the Transaction Traces section you will see a lot of traces taking about 10000 ms.

If you click on the first trace taking a lot of time you will end up on the page https://onenr.io/0VKQXLZ8zQa, where you can see the slowest component is : Truncated: search[parser-external.geo.moveaws.com:443].

We did try to activate Distributed Tracing for slowest component but it seems that this component is currently using a NodeJS version and a NewRelic agent version that are both too old for Distributed Tracing.

Maybe the fact that we are running old versions of both NodeJS and NewRelic agent is also causing some reporting issue in NewRelic One :thinking:

Thanks,

Mathieu

Hi @mathieu.stpierre -

Which versions of node the the New Relic agent are you using? If these are versions beyond their service life, that may cause issues.

Hi @sbedi

Yes it could be the issue as we are using NodeJS version10.16.2 and NewRelic agent version 1.33.

So are you suggesting we should first upgrade the NodeJS and New Relic agent versions we are using?

HI @mathieu.stpierre -

That would be a good first step.

For optimum performance, we recommend you use the latest version of the agent, as well; we do not actively maintain older versions of the agent, nor do we actively maintain our agent for older versions of Node. Currently, the oldest version of Node we support is version 12, and support for that is scheduled to be dropped in a few months.

Great thanks @sbedi we’ll start with the upgrade :slight_smile:

1 Like