[Node.js] 8 End of Life Notice

Hi NewRelic Team, there is node.js 8 End of Life Notice.

After October 31st, 2020, we will no longer support Node.js 8 in new versions of the New Relic Node agent, but we will add support for Node.js 14.
The maintenance cycle for Node.js 8 ended December 2019, meaning the Node community is no longer providing updates, bug fixes or security patches. We encourage customers to upgrade to supported versions of Node and the latest version of the New Relic Node agent to take advantage of the newest New Relic Node agent features and bug fixes.
You may continue using Node.js 8 by staying on the last versionof the agent that supports Node.js 8.
If you have any additional questions, please reach out to your New Relic Account team.

It is mentioned in the notification that You may continue using Node.js 8 by staying on the last versionof the agent that supports Node.js 8.

Question 1: Does that mean if we upgrade to latest node apm agent even with node.js 8, there would be no impact in future?

Question 2: Is EOL Notification also for New Relic Browser Agent too? i.e. Embedded Java Script Code into FE Code.

We have fewer services using node.js 8, Upgrading node would be much of work than upgrading the apm agent.

Hi @sanagarw welcome to the community :slight_smile:

I’m going to tag @rrodriguez2 to respond to your questions. They recently wrote this notice for the community:

1 Like

Hello @sanagarw!

I am on the product team and can answer your questions.

Question 1: If you are using Node 8, it is recommended to stay on the last version of the agent that supports Node 8. You will know the release number by looking at our release notes. We will also add it to our docs.

You may also be interested in knowing we are building compatibility with OpenTelemetry instrumentation for our Node customers and OpenTelemetry supports the latest version of Node 8 in their test suite. If that applies to you, we would be happy to get you onboarded when the OpenTelemetry tools are available in the next couple of months.

Question 2: The notification is not for browser. It is only for the Node agent.

Let me know if you have additional questions or how else we can help!

Best,
Rebecca

2 Likes

Thanks you!!

Currently we are not completely sure about OpenTelemetry Instrumentation. I will discuss with my team and let you know.

But for now, I am good with the answers.

Don’t hesitate to reach out @sanagarw. Also I invite you to collaborate with us as our agent is open sourced: https://github.com/newrelic/node-newrelic