[Node] Transaction disappeared from the UI

Transaction disappear from the UI after renaming

Hi ! we have a Node.js application, after releasing a new version renaming some transactions using New Relic’s agent method setTransactionName, the transaction disappeared from the UI but we query Transactions table and see it right.

Previously to the deploy we had that transactions named as “standalone_shopping_results” and “standalone_shopping_detail” using the same method, the only change we made was replacing the word standalone to accommodations

Here its a permalink to the transactions view and to a query where we see the transaction

Can you help us with this issue? Thanks !

• APM Agent Language: Node.js
  • APM Agent Version: 8.9.1
  • Operating System: Ubuntu
  • Operating System Version: 18
  • Frameworks your app is using: Express.js
  • A link to the application in the New Relic UI: https://onenr.io/0qwL2MoKgj5
1 Like

Hello @andres.rodriguez1

Welcome to the Explorers Hub, I hope you are doing well.

WOW, I love this post, you have given such great context, permalinks and a clean & concise layout! :smiley: This makes triaging a smoother process for our engineer teams.

While this is beyond my scope I have gone ahead and looped in the engineer team, they will be sure reach out via this post with the guidance.

Please feel free to reach out with any updates, fixes or questions you may have!

1 Like

Hi @andres.rodriguez1 ,

It appears the reason for this issue was due to an active DENY-NEW-METRICS rule that was preventing new metrics from reporting. You can see where this is applied in your application by going to Settings > Metric normalization in APM. We see this occur when your application experiences a metric grouping issue, a problem that happens when we’re unable to group your metrics into useful categories as a result of being sent too many unique transaction names. This rule acts as a whitelist and is automatically added to your application, preventing your application from gathering any new metrics.

The purpose of our transaction naming is to give you average performance for a group of similar transactions, and it can’t handle tens of thousands of separate transaction categories. Right now it looks like many individual transactions are creating their own category of transactions, which results in groups of unique metrics that do not provide you with valuable data.

Here is a description of the issue:

There is also a very helpful video that describes MGIs at the following link:

I went ahead and disabled this rule from our end so you should begin to see these metrics report shortly!

Thanks ! now i see the transactions right again !

@andres.rodriguez1

Thanks for confirming here this worked for you! We really appreciate this, as it will also help other community members find solutions easier!

Wishing you a great day.