Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Not Getting Email Notifications

email
discourse

I am not getting email notifications of replies to this post, despite the fact I’m watching it.

Email Alerts are not sent
Can't make sense of a transaction trace

Hi @matteosisti, created this topic separate from your PHP Agent one. I’m wondering if the email notifications are going to your spam/junk folder? Can you do a search for this email address: postmaster@community.newrelic.com If it is going to spam I would suggest changing your filter settings so that it goes to your inbox. Let me know if that works. Thanks!

It is also possible that the email address has been added to the New Relic suppression list.

That’s a great point @stefan_garnham

@matteosisti I have checked the suppression lists and I did see your email address there, with the following message:

smtp; 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from newrelic.com is not accepted due to 550-5.7.1 domain’s DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.1 newrelic.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. i14si1845198wml.51 - gsmtp

I’ve got you taken off the suppression list, so hopefully you receive emails going forward.

Thank you, I’m receiving them now.

with the following message:

Who issued that message? Can it be related to something being wrong on the receiving end? (i.e. our server)

Usually email addresses are added to suppression lists either due to spam filters or the email server has responded with a failure, I cannot remember the technical error, that the email address does not exist.

We tend to use distribution lists with individual email addresses in the list. We have found that an individual email address is no longer available and that results in the group email address being added to the suppression list. To check, we send an email to the group email address and look for the bounced email address, remove it from the group then contact New Relic to have the group email address removed from their suppression list.

What group? I don’t understand

Group email address or distribution list, eg NewRelicNotifications@mycompany.com could contain individual email addresses for you and me. If I leave and my email address is still in the group then the receiving server sees this as coming from NewRelicNotifications@mycompany.com, not my individual email address.

Adding on to this, the error message I saw in our mail system implied a mismatch in our DMARC policy on our side, with the DMARC policy your email server expects.

Would you be able to chat with your mail admins to understand what your mail server is expecting? Feel free to DM me with details of that.

I’m curious if our own DMARC policy is up to date, and so if you could share, I will discuss with our teams here to check on that.

eg NewRelicNotifications@mycompany.com

Oh now I get it, thank you and sorry.
We do use addresses like something@mycompany.com that forward to several personal addresses. I assumed NewRelic couldn’t know about that, but it’s clear now.
(actually, I was confusing “group email address” with “email address group” :man_facepalming: )

Would you be able to chat with your mail admins to understand what your mail server is expecting?

Sure! However, before I do that, is there any chance you can know when was the last time an email bounced with that error message (presumably causing the address to be blacklisted).
Since we had been having this issue for a looooooong time (btw I think I had reported it before, but never had it diagnosed until now) I suspect it might have been long ago, in which case there’s a chance our mail admins won’t be able to help a lot and/or that the configuration has changed since then and the issue might no longer exist.

Hey @matteosisti - I don’t know when the bounce originally happened, our mail system only keeps logs for 30 days.

With that said, the following is the most recent segment of logs showing our emails were blocked:

"delivery-status": {
		"tls": true,
		"mx-host": "mail.YOUR-DOMAIN",
		"attempt-no": 1,
		"description": "",
		"session-seconds": 4.80679988861084,
		"retry-seconds": 14400,
		"code": 554,
		"message": "5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [69.72.42.2] blocked using zen.libranosdelspam.com; SORBS - Currently Sending Spam See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?69.72.42.2"
	},
	"recipient-domain": "YOUR-DOMAIN",
	"event": "failed",
	"campaigns": [],
	"reason": "blacklisted",
	"user-variables": {},
	"flags": {
		"is-routed": false,
		"is-authenticated": true,
		"is-system-test": false,
		"is-test-mode": false
	},
	"log-level": "warn",
	"timestamp": 1584525326.417185,

You’ll see that this most recent failure message is triggered by what appears to be your mail servers spam filter.