Learn more

Close icon

Not Seeing Database Query Details Tab

databases

.NET Agent Question Template

• Please provide a permalink and your .NET agent version:

• Are you using .NET framework or .NET Core? framework

• Please let us know which operating system you have questions about: windows

I i see transactions but i do not see database related transaction or any sql querry?( i use postgre sql as database. ) Is this about agent configuration? are the database connections done manually; or after the insatallation should i’ve seen?

Hi there @defne.eroglu,

I was hoping to get a permalink to the application where you’re not seeing datastore information so we can take a look at some settings.

To create a permalink to any page within the New Relic user interface, scroll to the bottom and click ‘Permalink’ all the way on the right next to ‘Kiosk Mode.’ This will show me the exact page and time period that you are observing.

Thanks!

Hi,
The permalink is
https://rpm.eu.newrelic.com/accounts/2173431/applications/1618963/transactions?tw[end]=1543991075&tw[start]=1543989275#id=5b225765625472616e73616374696f6e2f4153502f6d6574612f6d6574617570646174652e61737078222c22225d&app_trace_id=8209ac4a-f854-11e8-b3a6-0242ac11000e_0_1108

By the way i use the free trial. Is this because?/database querry viewing feature is not involved at this level of product?

Hi @defne.eroglu,

Thanks for that link. With the trial you should have access to database metrics. I’m starting to see some database activity on that app but the network traffic seems to be intermittent.

For example, we can see some queries in this time window:

I also see a few SQL segments in this transaction:

Let me know if data is still not reporting as expected.

One more note. If you’re expecting to see more SQL explain plans, you may need to decrease the threshold setting that determines whether the agent will generate an explain plan. You can set this to 1 for example to collect more explain plans.

Documentation:

Hi.
When i use SQL Server then database querries tab and sql querries are visible.

In PostgreSQL* case it does not work. Please provide an info aboout this issue because; our apps can be used with several databases in the field. So i have to be sure about does new relic support postgre or not? Thank you.

*Provider DotConnect Devart

Hi @defne.eroglu,

There’s a caveat to the PostgreSQL support for the .NET Framework agent. Specifically:

PostgreSQL Via Npgsql .NET Data Provider 

The question becomes, what data provider are you using to connect to your PostgreSQL database? If it is not the Npgsql .NET Data Provider, the agent is not compatible with the defaults. If you are using that data provider, we should open this in a support ticket as we’ll need to collect detailed log data from the system.

We currently use Devart dotconnect for PostgreSQL. Is there a way to see postgresql related database querries, i.e. postgre sql plugin??

The plugins available for PostgreSQL measure the performance of the database as a whole, not the individual queries. In the plugins you’ll get data like CPU usage, memory, number of connections, I/O usage, etc.

Your best option is to use custom instrumentation to capture the calls. You won’t be able to see them on the Database page, but they will show up as segments in a transaction and you can use the Metric Explorer in Insights to pinpoint those transactions and create a custom dashboard to review them. I would strongly suggest you use a specific name for the segments of the requests so they’re easily identifiable and a wildcard can be used to group them. Something like the following would be good:

Custom/Database/PostgreSQL/...

The rest of the segment could contain either the general SELECT name or the name of the stored procedure. When creating the widget in the Metric Explorer, you can change the results to Custom/Database/PostreSQL/% by clicking on the last segment in the transaction name after the chart has been selected. This will load all of the metrics in that segment.

How you custom instrument the database calls will be up to you. You can use both XML instrumentation or the .Net agent API. Using the API requires making changes to your source code. The advantage of using XML instrumentation is you can just drop the file in the C:\ProgramData\New Relic\.NET agent\Extensions directory and it will instrument the methods accordingly.

I would also strongly suggest you head over to the Feature Idea section for the .NET agent and submit a request for support of PostgreSQL using data providers other than Npgsql .NET Data Provider. That will get this in front of the product manager and give the opportunity for others to vote on the idea. While we can’t guarantee when or if a feature will be implemented, we take customer requests very seriously and use them to prioritize which features we implement next.