Learn more

Close icon

Notifications on Alert Warnings

alerts
feature-request
feature-idea
new-alerts
rfb

Presently New Relic sends of notifications only for Critical Alerts. But we seen an increasing need for sending out notifications for warnings too. Sending out notifications on warnings helps us be proactive in fixing issues preventing them from becoming Critical or finding solution faster once it becomes Critical. Without Warning notification we are forced to create “Critical” alerts for Warnings and risk triggering Major Incident process for Warnings.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Notifications for warnings

Thanks @Anup.Jishnu - I appreciate you sharing this and the need for it. If you have any additional details about how you want to see this implemented (same types of notifications? Notifications of ALL warnings?) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your response.

Most companies use some 3rd party mechanism for alert notification like PagerDuty/OpsGenie/VictorOps/HipChat/Slack/Email/etc. So having same type of notification as New Relic has presently for Critical, would be great.

With that in mind, notification on all warnings would be one way to go. Alternatively there can be a checkbox next to Warning Condition for “Trigger Notification”.

I would like policies to have a separate set of notification channels for warnings. This would enable warnings to be sent to a lower priority channel, e.g. Slack channel instead of PagerDuty.

Can we get an update on this feature request? Thanks

You could achieve this by configuring a separate set of alert criteria and pushing this to a low level service channel in PagerDuty. Personally my preference would be to set services in PD with use alert severity on how to alert and therefore we should be able to use a single service channel in PD to control this and alert accordingly

Thanks for posting your solution here @neil.toolan :smiley:

I’ve actually managed to achieve this by using event rules in PagerDuty and having a defined naming convention for the alert condition in New Relic which then on inbound to PD is interpreted and the event rule pushes to the defined severity level.
E.g. in the alert condition I am now using “SEVERITY” and have a event rule in PD that looks in the summary for this and sets the alert severity accordingly.

This reduces the need for having multiple PD services