NR1 - Observability Maps Nerdpack

Hey @6MM -

Great to see you in the community. I really appreciate these thoughtful and smart comments. New Relic is fully committed to Open Source and that does mean that we have to rethink how we are supporting customers and managing expectations. These are conversations we are - quite literally - having at this moment. The last thing we want is for you to be in a position of expecting help and not being able to get it.

This is a great thread that we’ve shared with our teams now as we are working on our next steps, and I think you’ll find your thoughts reflected in some upcoming changes. Stand by, and keep on keeping us accountable.

2 Likes

FYI, these two issues are tracked in the project repo at the following two links:

Update

Per my commitment last week to reply to this thread with an update, here’s the latest on observability maps.

Last week, we logged issues in GitHub and asked the maintainer to make time to respond to all three.

1. Issue 28 (re: edit links failing/generating crashes) was identified as a bug, fixed, and is now deployed to the global catalog under version 0.6.9.
  2. I flagged Issue 29 (re: the question around deleting nodes) as either a bug or potentially in need of further clarification. The maintainer has provided an update and requested additional input to determine the nature of the issue (i.e. is this a new feature request or a true bug). Feedback in that thread would be most appreciated in trying to determine a best next step.
  3. Issue 30 (re: deployments) was entered by my colleague, Gil, who received some clarification on how the functionality was designed. The issue appears to be functioning as designed, but we’re happy to relay/consider additional feedback in where the user experience could be improved.

Have a great week all!

1 Like

Hi, is it possible to group/nest maps? the map could become really crowded and difficult to read if there are say more than 10 nodes…can we group a bunch of nodes to expand/collapse them?

Hi @skrishnamur1, we’ve had this thought come up a few times.
So I am thinking about how the implementation would look. eg. would the expand and collapse be on manually defined nodes as you are doing today? or would you prefer some way to have a dynamic node that could be powered by some sort of query and that would allow expand and collapse. Or maybe both?
Let me know your thoughts, also if possible would be great if you could raise a github issue against the repo, then we can easily track this and reference it -> https://github.com/newrelic/nr1-observability-maps/issues .

1 Like

Hi, I created a couple of issues in the github repo/ basically, we could start with something simple like an ‘application-group’ icon that opens a new tab in the browser with the distributed trace map for that application-group. we could also try something more sophisticated like you mention but I would think we should get minimum viable feature out sooner

also, has anyone experienced an issue with all/most of the nodes in the map dissapearing when using the account-level map storage option? I have 2 other maps in the account-storage whic are ok, but most/all the nodes on the third map seem to dissapear periodically.

Hi @skrishnamur1 there are a few reasons for the possibility of nodes disappearing.

1. You are a restricted user under one of the accounts you are trying to save too. Restricted users don’t have permissions to write to account nerd storage.
  2. Your map config has exceeded 64KB, nerdstorage documents cannot exceed 64KB currently.
  3. Nodes could have been moved into a negative boundary.

I would confirm those things, otherwise if your issue still persists I’d raise it to GitHub so we can track and prioritize it. There is one existing issue which potentially could be related.

Hi Kav, I was able to store two maps previously and this one had only 3-4 nodes, so i dont think it was the first two. most likely the 3rd case. Would it be possible to somehow enforce the Y coordinate from going negative. say with some kind of graph boundary line? asking since this would possibly address other issues raised in github as well.

Cheers