Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

On-Host Integrations for Kubernetes Hosted Applications

I have applications that have an On-host Integration supported by New Relic (i.e Cassandra). I’m running this application in Kubernetes so I’m wondering what the best solution is for this. I want to leverage the on-host integration plugin for an application, where that application is hosted in Kubernetes. Here are what I see are the options:

1. Install the on-host integration plugin on a device outside the kubernetes cluster that already has the infrastructure agent on it, and configure it to talk to the application hosted in Kubernetes.
  2. Run the integrated java agent in the application and just publish the JMX metrics and not even worry about the on-host integration.

I think approach 2 will work (i’ve done something like it before), but I see more value in using the on-host integration in that it comes with better visualizations and metrics out of the box.

Hi @treadmic

Currently we don’t support running the Kubernetes integration alongside any other on-host integrations (not sure if you were wondering about that, but wanted to mention it). However, if you install the vanilla Infrastructure agent on a host outside of the Kubernetes cluster, you can then add on the Cassandra integration so long as the Cassandra DB is accessible from outside the cluster (must have a consistent endpoint to use for the on-host integration to work).

Ensuring the Cassandra DB has a consistent endpoint that’s accessible from outside the cluster is not something we can help with, but so long as the on-host integration has a reliable endpoint that it can connect to, this configuration should work perfectly.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, that answers my question. I was able to use the built in agent and customize the JMX metrics sent to new relic and that seems to be working. My Cassandra endpoints are accessible from outside the Kubernetes cluster so I can give that a shot and see how it goes.