Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Only send alerts during a specifc time window each day

alerts-beta
feature-idea
new-alerts
rfb

Is there a way to only send alerts during a certain window of time each day? If so, is there a way to specify this for a particular alert (CPU usage)?

I didn’t see this in the web interface or documentation so I thought I would open a thread to ensure I’m not missing something.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Alert for insight by a period of time

Hey @virento - unfortunately this isn’t currently possible. I am going to submit a feature request for it right now. :slight_smile:

I was looking for exactly this as well.

For what it’s worth, I would also like to be able to subdue some of my alerts per time of day.

Hey @webmat I’ve submitted a new feature request for consideration for future release. Appreciate you making your voice heard!

This is great, thank you! In the meantime, I’m enabling and disabling the last alert on my policy every evening and every morning :wink:

+1

I’d like to show support for this as well.

Are you looking to suppress notifications during certain times of day because:

a) they are dev/staging services that shouldn’t notify you outside of business hours
b) the services routinely have a maintenance time where their activities are atypical some amount of time and will trip thresholds you’ve setup

I’d love to hear from anyone in this thread on this.

Nate -

B. We have some maintenance that affects response times & error rates.

Thanks @Caleb! That helps!

Please keep those answers coming so that we know what you all need. :slight_smile:

We would appreciate to have this feature too for reason b: a nightly full database dump triggers i/o alerts.

Thanks

That makes a lot of sense, @adriens! Thanks for sharing your need here - I have sent this on to our product managers.

Hi Lisa,

Would be great to add our voice to this too. We are a large e-commerce retailer based in Australia/New Zealand. There is alerting we would like to have in place to monitor throughput on our backend / frontend systems which we are unable to put into place.

For example, during Business hours, is throughput > X (imagine our warehouse and if we break something and packing ceases, we need to know). Alternatively, throughput on our checkout - Are we processing more than X orders a minute (less than this we need to know as something may have broken.).

The issue is, being localised to this region means that traffic significantly drops off overnight so we would like to lower or remove the alerts during these periods (warehouse has only a few staff / customers are sleeping). Right now, it takes 3xlonger to get alerted as we have to watch larger windows of time on some metrics.

Cheers,
Ollie

I would also like to show support for this future feature. We have routine maintenance done during evenings and off hours, which triggers the alerts unnecessarily.

Filing a feature request for you guys now @olliebrennan @james_park

Just as an idea, recently our team announced the API functionality for the Alerts Product.

You can infact disable policies through this. So you could write a small script to enable and disable the policies between these hours and trigger it on a cron-job.

https://rpm.newrelic.com/api/explore/alert_policies/update

This might not suit, which in that case consider the feature request for the ability to do such in the UI is now logged for both and hopefully the above option might help you meet your goals now :slight_smile:

Just wanted to add my support for this. Had a look at the API and it is doable but would much prefer something on the GUI.

@mlee that’s fair, at least for now you can achieve this with an API as a temporary measure, but as this is a good idea and we don’t currently offer this functionality, I will lodge a feature request on your behalf to our development team. Lodging a feature request puts the idea up for discussion with our product managers when discussing features for our roadmap.

While we can’t guarantee if or when this feature will be implemented, we take requests like this very seriously and use them to prioritize what we implement next.

Hope that helps, should this feature be implemented, because I’ve tagged your details you should get notified of this.

@acuffe – thanks for getting back as quickly as you did. The thread is an old(ish) one but speaking for myself and my colleagues in ops, and coming across from a rival monitoring service - the lack of this option is quite obvious. However, the other stuff you guys do makes our developers happy so that’s good! Thank you again.

@mlee great to hear we make your developers happy, that’s the goal, to be the tool that developers and ops need.

I’ll make sure this thread gets seen by our product managers, feature requests are how new features get added so seeing the level of interest in this feature is important part of the process. So hopefully going forward this feature may make it into the product and help make your life even easier!

Without feedback like this, it’s hard to make the product continually evolve in awesome ways that our customers want, so thanks for getting your voice heard.

I would also like to add my name to the list of requesters for this feature. We have several regularly scheduled tasks in the wee hours of the night that push our servers over their alert thresholds. It looks like the API will work but with the amount of windows we’ll need, being able to do this in the UI would be much more manageable. Thanks!

Thanks @kjoseph - appreciate you raising your voice as well!