Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Only send alerts during a specifc time window each day

alerts-beta
feature-idea
new-alerts
rfb

I’ll chime in as well: our traffic is fairly consistent, active during the day and minimal during night (in USA) looking to utilize for alerting on traffic below a certain throughput during “active” hours

Thanks so much for sharing the details you are looking for @_mg. Those are really helpful for our engineers.

This feature is still not available outside of an API call to turn it off? How difficult is it to implement a maintenance window in NR? The majority of other tools support this functionality.

Same here. This is standard feature is in most monitoring tools (Nagios/Netsaint had it almost 20 years ago)

Can’t imagine how it is not in New Relic New Alerts by now.

We could definitely use this feature as well. We would like to put alerts on a service that monitors our sales reps, which have heavy usage during the day, but no use at all during sleeping hours. Unable to easily put an alert due to this lack of feature.

An even better idea, to emulate what some other services offer, is to offer anomaly detection, where you can set alerts based on historical pattern differences, since usage can vary quite a bit based on the time of day.

+1

Our traffic is much lower at night than during the day. We would love to be able to set different thresholds based on time of the day. Maybe by entering start time /end time for each alert? Thanks!

Is there any update regarding this issue? I am getting lots of unnecessary maintenance alert notifications. If there is an automatic way to stop testing during maintenance hours that would be greatly appreciated. I am currently using the Keynote software as well and they have all the features implemented.

Have you tried our baseline conditions to for APM, Browser and NRQL? They will accomodate for these daily/weekly patterns.

Hi @Aliabbas_Fazal, I can update you on a few things around this area of the NR platform.

The title of this thread focuses on not receiving notifications during certain times of day. There are a few ways to approach this problem. As someone pointed out putting schedules on conditions is one way, however I’m not sure this is the best approach due to the large increase in condition configuration and ongoing management complexity it introduces.

We think modern baselines is the ideal approach to this problem. A system that models past behaviors, accommodates for trends and weekly seasons/cycles is a simpler more flexible approach to alerting on these tricker KPIs.

Additionally there are times when teams need to do maintenance on a system that will likely cause crazy things to happen to the data collected. One comment above mentioned nightly database dumps that make i/o and other measure emit wonky values during the backup. Recurring and one time maintenance windows is the solution we want to introduce for this. Basically being able to choose entities in NR and associate it with a window of time where notifications should not be sent.

It is possible to solve for this using our APIs and cron jobs today, but a native solution is really the most efficient way to do this. Defining windows like this in Alerts is high priority and I hope to be able to share some more information on this effort soon.

is this one resolved and is there a solution if so please let us know

Hi, @sgaddam: No change since @nateheinrich’s post above: metric baseline alert conditions can calculate dynamic alert thresholds based on past behavior of a metric; if you prefer to enable / disable alert conditions at specific times, you may use the REST API to do so.

Can we enable and disable newrelic-infra using API ?

Can we enable and disable newrelic-infra alert conditions using API ? because i am searching in the docs only found for APM … if am wrong please let me know. Thanks for ur previous response

Hi, @sgaddam: Yes, you should be able to use the REST API to enable or disable Infrastructure alert conditions: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/infrastructure/new-relic-infrastructure/infrastructure-alert-conditions/rest-api-calls-new-relic-infrastructure-alerts.

I too need this for reason B