Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

PHP transaction time jumped after upgrading from 5.6 to 7.1

Under PHP 5.6 on CentOS 7 we were getting PHP transaction times around 300ms. After upgrading to PHP 7.1, the transaction times jumped to over 800ms. Also, the throughput numbers dropped to single digits (after being in triple digits). Subjectively, in a browser, the site seems fairly responsive, but the jump in transaction time, drop in reported throughput, and corresponding drop in apdex score are worrying.

Using NR daemon version 9.2.0.247-51143810a9c6

Does the agent (or daemon) need to be updated? Anything that we should configure differently? The PHP configurations between 5.6 and 7.1 are matched as closely as possible.

Hello @msmith8

Thanks for writing in!

I had a quick look and it appears that the agent thinks it’s still on PHP5. Can you tell me if you re-installed the agent after upgrading PHP?

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/php-agent/troubleshooting/agent-stops-working-after-updating-php#solution

I’d also recommend killing all of the newrelic-daemon processes that are currently running before installing the agent again so that they could be started by the new agent extension.

Please let us know if that helped!