Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Platform Installer FAQ

plugins
platform-installer

The following is an aggregate of the most common questions surrounding the New Relic Platform Installer Beta:

Q: I copied the install script into my terminal and saw the following: “./npi: line 1: bin/node: No such file or directory”?

A: This error occurs when you use the wrong architecture script to download NPI (x86 vs. x64). Try using the other script for your platform to solve the issue.

Q: I have tried running the commands in the getting started page, but I keep getting: “-bash: ./npi: No such file or directory”?

A: Currently the NPI tool does not get setup on your path, so you can only access the tool from the location that it was installed. This may change in the future, but for now, navigate to the directory you put the extracted NPI folder (the scripts provided put it in ‘~/newrelic-npi’) and run the command again.

Q: Is there a way to tell what plugins are available to download using the tool?

A: Yes, the NPI tool has a command called ‘available’ that will pull from New Relic to determine what plugins are available for download, run it using the following at your terminal:

./npi available

Q: You have a lot of plugins, how come so few are supported by this tool?

A: This is currently a point in time thing. Having a plugin work with the NPI tool requires a few simple changes for how a plugin is packaged. Going forward we expect more developers to migrate their plugin to be compatible with this tool because of the obvious benefits it offers plugin consumers and the minimal work it takes.

Q: When I try to set the plugin as a background process it tells me I have insufficient privileges?

A: Since the plugin is creating an /etc/init.d script on Linux and a Windows service on Windows, it requires escalated privileges to run. On Linux or OSX just run the command with ‘sudo’ in front of it; on Windows, run the command from an administrator prompt.

Q: I want to view the logs from a plugin I have running, but I don’t know where it is located?

A: The NPI tool provides a ‘where’ command that will give you the full path for a plugin. You can always use this command to locate a plugin on your filesystem and manually configure it or view the log files.

Q: Can I use this tool for plugins that I have privately published?

A: Absolutely, in general the NPI tool will try to pull download (manifest) information from the New Relic service, but you can also provide a file named ‘manifest.json’ in the ‘config’ directory of your NPI installation to provide this information. The file format should match the following:

[
  {
    "guid": "arbitrary_identifier",
    "download_url": "https://plugin.download.url.com",
    "publisher": "New Relic Inc.",
    "version": "1.0.1",
    "installer_compatible": true,
    "implementation": "Java"
  }, 
  {
    "guid": "arbitrary_identifier2",
    "download_url": "https://plugin2.download.url.com",
    "publisher": "New Relic Inc.",
    "version": "2.0.0",
    "installer_compatible": true,
    "implementation": "Java"
  }
]

Now that You’ve set this up you can run all the same commands with the GUIDs you chose. One notable difference is that to ‘install’ or ‘fetch’ a plugin you’ll need to pass the ‘–untrusted’ flag to allow downloading plugins from a local file.