Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Problem with new version of MSSQL On Host Integrations agent for New Relic Infrastructure

on-host-integrations

Hi,

When we install the new version of New Relic Infrastructure for Microsoft SQL server v2.01, the sql sever doesn’t report to New Relic dashboard.

If I install the old version v1.0.3, it works.

Can you help us troubleshoot?

I enabled logging for a few minutes on one of the sql servers and the following lines are reported:-

time=“2019-05-16T13:45:38-04:00” level=debug msg=“still waiting on plugins:[config/mssql services/windows_services]”
time=“2019-05-16T13:45:39-04:00” level=debug msg=“still waiting on plugins:[config/mssql services/windows_services]”
time=“2019-05-16T13:45:40-04:00” level=debug msg=“still waiting on plugins:[services/windows_services config/mssql]”
time=“2019-05-16T13:45:41-04:00” level=debug msg=“still waiting on plugins:[services/windows_services config/mssql]”

Let us know.
Thanks

Hey @DevOps11 - Neither Holly or myself are experts on the MSSQL integration, so I don’t think there’s much we could do to help. We definitely want to get you connected to the right people though, so I’ll convert your question into a public topic for our experts to see. :smiley:

made this topic public #3

There is an additional issue in that all the instances are now using the hostname for reporting instead of machine name, which is an issue if users are using 127.0.0.1 (like we are). The dashboard groups everything together. Instead of

• instance:972563-DB3
  • instance:972561-DB1
  • instance:972562-DB2

We get

• ms-instance:127.0.0.1

The documentation - especially the example config file - are more confusing than helpful. Fir instance the Arguments section includes:

instance: Instance the MS SQL Server is connected to. instance can be used in place of port by enabling SQL Browser; if enabled, do not include port in the argument.

That’s not overly helpful at all. What’s SQL Browser, how is it enabled? Can we not set displayName? I have name set and it’s not being used for anything in the dashboard as far as I can see.

Hi, @markg3: SQL Browser is a Windows service that should be installed on your SQL Server.

Looking at the documentation (which it sounds like you already have), it does not appear that the integration supports a display_name setting.