Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Provide ability to programmatically remove hosts from monitoring

alerts
monitoring
api
programatically

I’m writing a tool to spin up and destroy old hosts that need to be removed from our setup.

We currently have alerts configured such that if a host goes down, we get an email. I don’t want to get that email if it’s intentional.

I’d like to programmatically remove a host from all monitoring, and then destroy it however it seems as though your API doesn’t have the ability to do that with the new infrastructure model.

Is there a good way to do this?

I’ve considered adding a tag to the host, and filtering out hosts that have that tag from alerting, but it’s not really an ideal solution. Also it would be good to have an infrastructure API.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Thanks @evin.callahan - This is a feature idea for our product team. I added a poll so that others can vote and share as well. In the meantime, it would be great to get any additional details you have about your use case and how you would want to see this implemented.

Thanks @hross ! I replied to the email I got around this but it looks like it didn’t make it through! Putting the comment in manually.

In general, I’d really just like to see an api exposed to do certain things within the infrastructure product:

• remove/disable hosts from all monitors
  • add/remove filters
  • query the server info to get status and info about processes for example (or maybe cpu / disk / memory info)

Ultimately want to be able to look holistically at my stack and determine programmatically if I need to do certain things that exists outside the newrelic platform.

In terms of my use case, the description I started the thread with is the particular situation I’m running into. If you have any particular questions around it send them my way.

Excellent details, @evin.callahan! Thank you so much for the additional information! I know that these use cases help @kirani plan the Infrastructure roadmap. :thumbsup:

It seems that this functionality used to exist with your Server offering: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/servers/rest-api-examples-v2/server-api-examples/delete-host-index-v2

Hi @mruckman! That may be true. Servers and Infrastructure do not have exact feature parity. Since that is the case, it is helpful to our team to know which Servers features our customers can’t live without. Be sure to add your vote and your use case in this thread so I can pass it along. :blush: Thanks!