Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Received fatal alert: protocol_version - how to resolve?

Hello Forum -

I have been getting this error ever since updating to the latest PHP agent:

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/info.php failed 1,468 times over about 12 hours, the most recent at 14:34:51 today (less than a minute ago). The last failure was a connection error (Received fatal alert: protocol_version). No content was captured from the response.

I realize this is similar to other questions that have been asked, but I didn’t see a specific cause/answer that addresses my situation. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Jared

Hey @jkail,

I think this error you’re seeing might have to do with Legacy Alerts. You can read more about these changes on a forum post that I linked below.

Information about transitioning from Legacy to New Relic alerts can be found our docs site.

If you’re still having trouble after this, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

Thanks Pricilla. Do you happen to know if the ping/up-time alerts have changed in the new alerting system? That is what is causing my constant alerts to happen currently. In the mean time I deleted that policy so I will quit seeing the error, but it leaves me blind in terms of my site’s uptime.

Hey @jkail! I can confirm that up/downtime alerting would be affected by the changes @priscilla mentioned above.

We definitely don’t want to leave you blind. :see_no_evil: Our Synthetics Ping Monitor is basically the same thing as the Legacy Availability Monitor and will give you visibility into your site’s uptime, but is more reliable! If you would like to get started with Synthetics, you can have up to 50 free ping monitors. Let me know if you have more questions about that!

If this option does not work for you, or if I missed the mark, please reach back out and we can explore a different avenue. Thanks!