Relic Solution: Deleting Applications in New Relic One

Currently there is no ‘Delete App’ button in the New Relic One UI. This is coming, but until then, below is some information that may help you!

Note: This post is sharing the same information found on our docs site here: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/apm/new-relic-apm/maintenance/remove-applications-new-relic

APM

APM apps can be deleted via the API, but first they must have stopped reporting to New Relic for long enough for their UI colour code status to turn Grey (where previously green / amber / red).

Once they have turned Grey, you can run the Delete API call here: New Relic API Explorer

curl -X DELETE 'https://api.newrelic.com/v2/applications/{id}.json' \
     -H 'X-Api-Key:{api_key}' -i 

There’s a short overview of how to disable each language agent here: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/apm/new-relic-apm/maintenance/remove-applications-new-relic

Browser

There are two scenarios here - either you have set up your Browser apps via APM Injection, or via the Copy/Paste method. Below are your options for each:

Copy Paste
There is currently no API for deleting Copy Paste instrumented browser apps. These will need to stop reporting (you should remove the NR JS snippet from the sites) for 93 days before they are automatically removed from the UI.

APM Injected.
Again, this app needs to have stopped reporting. Once it has, deleting the APM app via the API as described above will also remove the Browser App.

Mobile

There is currently no API for deleting Mobile apps. These will need to stop reporting (you should remove the NR SDKs from your apps. For more information, see the iOS and Android install docs.) After 93 days they are automatically removed from the UI.

Caveats

DELETE API calls require a User key with admin privileges to delete applications. See this doc for more info on what that is and how to create one:

4 Likes

When will the ‘Delete App’ button be available in the NR1 UI?
The post mentioned it was coming, but that was 7 months ago.

2 Likes

There is no exact timeline at the moment but rest assured that as soon as it is implemented, we will let the community know.

From my point of view this is a functionality that was removed as we’ve been switched over to the NR1 UI for APM…you’d think this would have already been completed before switching existing customers over to the new NR1 UI for APM.

2 Likes

I understand the frustration @tywhite, it’s more than fair. For now just keep an eye on the community for any updates!

Here we are 8 months later and we still can’t delete applications inside the APM without using the API…

2 Likes

It’d be funny if it wasn’t true(!)

Upvote - completely crazy that this is not available.

It is a basic requirement.

2 Likes

curl -X DELETE ‘https://api.eu.newrelic.com/v2/applications/$APP_ID.json’ -H ‘X-Api-Key:$API_KEY’ -i
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Proxied-By: Service Gateway
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
Content-Security-Policy: frame-ancestors *.newrelic.com
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Length: 82
Content-Type: application/json
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:14:01 GMT
Server: nginx
X-Rack-Cache: invalidate, pass
X-Request-Id: e25a8db09a09c8a3f1c7a30039bea118
X-Runtime: 0.118738
X-Ua-Compatible: IE=Edge,chrome=1

I don`t understand why NR is so complicated. i even can not delete the application using the API. in other monitoring systems it works with just a few clicks of the mouse in UI, but NR developers made it so difficult. it looks like they prefer to make all people suffer by doing such simple things confused and complicated.) I have spent several days on NR integration with our nodejs apps and only one server from five now is pushing the data to APM. The rest of the servers still not pushing by the unknown reasons. And now when i am trying to delete the apps in APM i even can not do this. WTH! Totally disappointed. Looks like I will be forced to look for another monitoring system cause NR is so unpredictable and the way it works is sometimes very strange. For this reason, no one from our team will be able and want to work with NR cause it is frustrating and nervous. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

It’s really frustrating that it’s over a year now, that the ‘Delete App’ button is missing.
In the past we had at least the option to change back to the good old UI, where this was working.

One would think reintroducing this button, when there is even an API call for it, shouldn’t be that complicated.