Relic Solution: How to Get Notified on Warning Violations

What are Warning Violations?

When you create an alert condition, you can set up a critical threshold and a warning threshold. A critical threshold, when breached, will open a critical violation, while a warning threshold will open a warning violation. Simple, right?

Here’s where the difference comes in, though – a critical violation can open an incident, while a warning violation will never open an incident (see this documentation). Since notifications are tied to incident open/incident close events, you will never get a notification from a warning violation.

But what if you actually want to get notified on warning violations? I will share a couple of ways you can make this happen.

Important caveat!

In order for these methods to work, you will need to have your alert policy’s Incident Preference (read more about Incident Preference settings in this article) set to either By condition or By condition and entity. This will allow each condition to open separate incidents and will thus send notifications when separate conditions are violated.

For these examples I will be using a disk fullness alert condition in Infrastructure. For this imaginary alert condition, the critical threshold is set to If disk is over 90% full and the warning threshold is set to If disk is over 80% full. The imaginary alert condition will be called “Disk Fullness Alert” and is part of an alert policy called “Server Alert Policy.” Keep in mind, however, that this will work with any alert condition you might have set up.

First method

For the simplest use case, if you just want the same people to be notified when a warning threshold is breached, you can use the following method (applied to the example mentioned above):

1. Create a new alert condition called “Disk Fullness Alert - Warning.”
  2. Use the warning threshold value as the critical threshold in the new alert condition. For our example, the critical threshold would be set to If disk is over 80% full.

Now when the “warning threshold” is breached (actually a critical threshold now), a notification will be sent that the Disk Fullness Alert - Warning condition has been violated.

Second method

This method is a bit more involved, but will alert a separate group of folks when the warning threshold gets violated. This works great for a use case where you have less-senior team members who will be your first line of defense, but can also be used to notify all the same people as would be notified in the case of critical violations.

1. Create a new alert policy called “Server Alert Policy - Warnings.”
  2. Assign notification channels to this alert policy which correspond to your less-senior team members. Ensure that your original alert policy has notification channels assigned to it that correspond to your more senior team members.
  3. Create duplicate alert conditions in this policy. Going back to our example, you would want to create an alert condition called “Disk Fullness Alert.”
  4. Set up thresholds using the values of the warning thresholds from the original conditions as critical thresholds. For our example case, you would use If disk is over 80% full as your critical threshold.

Now when the “warning threshold” (actually a critical threshold now) is breached, a separate group of folks will be notified and the notification will include the policy name, Server Alert Policy - Warnings. If the problem gets worse and breaches the critical threshold (which, if you remember, is If disk is over 90% full), your more senior team members will get called into action to help with the problem.

I hope this helps you to set up your New Relic Alerting system up so that you are getting exactly the notifications you need sent to exactly the channels where you need them! As always, comments and questions are welcome.

12 Likes

Hello there,

My question is, after setting up the thresholds, the policies, and the group who has to know about the alert, could we also include in the notification a link or a how-to document (word or pdf or any file) for the receiving party?

Or is there a way to add it on the details of the alert in the platform so its easy to check?

Many thanks!

Hi @markangelo.lineses

You should be able to include a runbook URL with each alert condition. That way, any condition which opens a violation will include its own runbook URL if it opens an incident and notifications are sent. This URL can be any valid address (browser link) and is included to help the responder deal with the violation.

Let me know if this helps, or if more questions crop up.

This helps. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Excellent! I’m glad to hear Runbook URLs are helpful for you @markangelo.lineses :smiley:

5 posts were split to a new topic: Notification support on warning thresholds

A post was split to a new topic: Feature Idea: Warning Violations Notifications

Has there been any change to this? Or is it still required to duplicate alerts to be able to get notifications for warning thresholds? If this is still the case, are there any plans to change this? Perhaps by adding a flag that let us decide whether we want to get notifications for a warning threshold. It is otherwise quite verbose to have to duplicate all the alert configuration. Specially when integrations such as PagerDuty support having incidents with different severity. I would love to be able to use PagerDuty to check all my notifications, both the critical and warning ones.

5 Likes

@vjimenez Thank you for your question. Asking @Fidelicatessen if there is further information to share on this solution.

@vjimenez

Notifications for warning violations should be available very soon, with no workaround needed. Keep an eye in the Alerts space for an announcement!

6 Likes

Any updates on this topic?

3 Likes

@Fidelicatessen What is the purpose of ‘warning threshold’ which is available while adding condition. Please let me know ETA for this?

hi @raghavendra_mogeraya you can get notification on issues with warning thresholds using the new AI workflows. An issue consists of one or more incidents that were correlated to reduce alert fatigue, you can read more about this here . Issues are generated regardless if the violations is WARNING or CRITICAL.

Destinations are used together with workflows to send alerts on issues .
An issue consists of one or more incidents that were correlated for to reduce alert fatigue, you can read more about this here
Once you define a destination, you can create a new workflow (or use an existing one) to filter, enrich and send your alert data to the right destinations.

1 Like