Relic Solution: How to make MySQL On Host Integrations collect data from Amazon RDS

Issue

How to make MySQL On Host Integrations collect data from Amazon RDS.

Short introduction:

• When using Amazon RDS monitoring integration customer has the following available Amazon RDS data.
  • When using On Host Integration an example MySQL On host Integration customer can see the following Metric data.
  • Here we will see how to collect metrics like query.slowQueriesPerSecond when using Amazon RDS MySQL. (Metrics like query.slowQueriesPerSecond are not supported by default when using only Amazon RDS monitoring integration).

Environment

Resolution

1- Once you have installed the MySQL monitoring integration you will have the mysql-config.yml , Where you will enter the following credentials see the example below:

$ sudo vim /etc/newrelic-infra/integrations.d/mysql-config.yml

Please note: I skipped step 2 from Install and activate which says to create a new user for New Relic I just used the Master user admin already created by Amazon RDS which has the Master user account privileges. You can use the newrelic user if you prefer.

2- Once the mysql-config.yml file is updated restart the Infra-Agent with the command below:

sudo systemctl restart newrelic-infra

3- Once login to New Relic One Platform, you can see using Explore That you will have MySQL node “ node:yourRDSname"

4- In this case as we have the RDS integration enabled we can see the RDS instances as below too:

5- Below I had shown a quick test in order to populate the query.slowQueriesPerSecond:

A. I had Connected to the DB instance running the MySQL database engine

mysql -h rdsmysql57ladtestb.c6fwajfx82ix.eu-west-1.rds.amazonaws.com -P 3306 -u admin -p

Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 24629
Server version: 5.7.33-log Source distribution
Copyright (c) 2000, 2021, Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.
Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql>

B. I ran the SELECT SLEEP(3) to simulate a slow query that would be running for 3 seconds. Please NOTE: That is your to configure the Slow queries on your RDS MySQL instance you have to follow the parameters configuration in this list:

mysql> SELECT SLEEP(3);
+----------+
| SLEEP(3) |
+----------+
| 0 |
+----------+
1 row in set (3.01 sec)

C. Once you execute the Select Sleep command a few times, you can go to “Data Explore” ->> “Metrics” ->> Search for “Slow QueriesPerSecond” and you will see the populated data there:

I hope the above helps on those Concerns on how to have MySQL Integration collecting metrics For RDS MySQL Integration.

3 Likes