New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Relic Solution: Linking Between Dashboards to Drill Into Your Data

facet
dashboard
insights

Insights dashboards are fantastic for understanding what’s happening in your environment so that you can take action as soon as you need to. Sometimes however, you want to dive deeper and switching between dashboards to get more granular data takes you out of the data and off track. The good news is, there’s an easy way to drill down into granular data: dashboard linking.

When you create a FACET widget on a dashboard, you can link the items in that widget to a pre-filtered dashboard of information relevant to just that facet, or filter the results of your existing dashboard. Either way, you get more detailed information with a click. Here’s how to do it.

Sample Use Case:

I want to know which browsers my customers are using in cities around the world to better tailor my app based on language/location.

Step One: Create a dashboard with faceted widgets
Set up a dashboard to show browser, version, operating system and city. The data you want to drill into should be displayed in widgets that use the FACET attribute in the NRQL query. For example, you might use this NRQL query for your Browser usage widget:

SELECT count(*) FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'ecomm' FACET userAgentName SINCE 1 week ago

Here’s what that sample dashboard might look like:

Step Two: Link your faceted widget
Linking your widget will allow you to select any facet from the widget and see the data relevant only to that facet. For example, clicking on “Chrome” in the Browser Usage widget could show me the cities, versions, and operating systems of only the Chrome users of my apps.

You have three choices when linking your faceted widget:

1. Link to Current Dashboard: If you choose this option, your current dashboard will refresh and display only the data relevant to the facet you selected. When the facet is selected, you will see purple boxes at the top of your dashboard indicating which facets have been applied. Use this option if you just want to see the data already on the dashboard updated by facet.

2. Link to New Dashboard: If you need to see a variety of different information as you drill down into faceted data, this option will create a new dashboard for you. You will need to add widgets to the new dashboard to display the data you want to see for that facet.

3. Link to an Existing Dashboard: This option is perfect if you already have a dashboard with the right details, and you just want to see it filtered by the facet.

To link your widget, put the dashboard that contains the widget into edit mode, then click on the link icon () on the widget you want to link. This will allow you to select where you want the widget to link.

Step 3: Enjoy your facets!
To view the details of your faceted data, all you need to do now is click on the facet. In our example, we made the Browser Usage widget filter the CURRENT dashboard. The unfiltered dashboard looks like this:

I can click on the “Firefox” facet in the Browser Usage widget and the dashboard updates:

Note that now New York is the top city, and there is a purple box at the top of the screen reminding you which facet is in use. You can clear the facets by closing the purple box (click on the “x”) or add additional facets by selecting other values from linked widgets.

Learn more

Ready to learn more about facets and dashboards? Check out these resources:

Multi column table data
Using a where clause against an alias
How can I retrieve number of transaction per each page name on a certain hour
Sending Alerts data to Insights
QUERY for getting Country Information
Relic Solution: Sharing Dashboards
Is it possible to update where attributed based on dashboard filter
QUERY for getting Country Information
Insights query help
Insights query help