Learn more

Close icon

Relic Solution: New Relic Account Architecture and Moving Accounts

account
license-key
move
merge

Relic Solution: New Relic Account Architecture and Moving Accounts

As a seasoned user of New Relic, you may have come across one (or all) of the New Relic account related questions below: :thinking:

• Can I move my application from one account to another account?
  • Can I move my whole sub-account to be the sub-account of another account?
    • Ohh, how about changing the master and sub-account?
    • Or maybe even creating a hierarchy between two stand-alone accounts?

The answer to all of the questions above is Yes Support Can Surely Do That For You!!! :nerd:

However, there is one more question you may ask:

• Can I merge my accounts together??!!!"
    • We are unable to MERGE two accounts together.

Now that we know the short, simple answers to these account question you may be having, let’s dive into the details of the processes.

Move applications between accounts:

Whenever you install a New Relic agent, you must specify your New Relic license key in order for the agent to report data to your New Relic account. This is a 40-character hexadecimal string that New Relic provides when you sign up for your account.

If you are planning to move an application from one account to another, you need to update that application’s license key with the desired account’s license key.

That is a good segue into what I consider the most important points of this post:

New Relic does not have the feature to move historical data from one account to another.

This means that when you change your license key, the historical data will remain on the old account until the Data Retention limits are met.

Updating the license key of the application could be accomplished by any of the users and/or admins of the account who has access to the applications configuration file.

Moving an Entire Account

Next I will present you with some different examples of a change in account architecture, then we can focus on what parent/sub-account options you have:

• Moving a sub-account to be its own master (aka Standalone Account)
  • Moving a sub-account from one master to another master
  • Moving a standalone account under a master

Note: We need the authorization of the Owner of both accounts before making any changes

Let’s drill in below on each aspect—and possible blocker—of your account that you’ll want to consider before requesting such a change:

SAML SSO

When SAML SSO is enabled on a master account, all sub-accounts inherit that setting. The master account will show these settings under Account Settings > Single Sign-On, but the sub-accounts will not show that SAML SSO is enabled.

Note: Only the account’s owner can edit SAML SSO settings.

If SAML SSO is not set on a master account, then sub-accounts can each have their own SSO settings, independent of each other. If an account has SAML SSO configured and enabled and will be moved under a parent that also has SAML SSO enabled, make sure to disable SAML SSO on the sub-account first. Failure to do so will prevent any of your current users from accessing the sub-account.

If the account being moved needs SAML SSO separately, AND is using the same IDP instance (e.g. same instance of Okta, One Login, etc.), then you may need to use Custom Entity IDPs to make switching accounts seamless again. See our public documentation on Configuring SAML SSO on Multiple Accounts.

Subscription

Sub-accounts always inherit their subscription from the master account; therefore, we here at New Relic will need to visit your subscription to ensure we are setting the correct subscription for the master account.

When the sub-account becomes its own master, it is reverted to a Lite subscription, which translates into a shorter, 24 hour retention period. If the subscription isn’t updated immediately, historical data can be lost due to the reduction of retention.

User Access

Users that have access to a master account have access to all sub-accounts as well.

When the sub-account becomes its own master, any user that needs to access the account will need to be explicitly added to the account.

Before moving a sub-account, we recommend that an admin audit the users on that account and ensure all users that require access have been added directly to that account with the correct role, especially the Owner.

Synthetics Private Minions/Private Locations

Sub-accounts have access to all Private Locations on their master account. When a sub-account is removed from the master, they lose access to those Private Locations.

To “move” Private Locations to a new account, you will need to follow these directions:

1. Create some Private Locations in the new master
  2. Update private minions to use new location keys
  3. Update any existing scripts to use new private locations

Why can’t we merge accounts?

As I mentioned earlier, each account has a unique License Key. Merging two accounts means eliminating one license key and using the other license key for both accounts. This falls under the first category of moving one application from one account to another.

We can use a variation of the other cases mentioned above to find a workaround that works best for your unique architecture. Unfortunately, we are not able to merge accounts at this time and can’t magically combine the data from two accounts by flipping a switch.

Final Thoughts

Now that you are fully educated on our strategic account structuring processes, and have been made aware of our inability to merge accounts, what is the next step if you need help with your account architecture?

1. Reach out to your accounts representative in New Relic and discuss the goals you are trying to accomplish.
  2. Submit a support ticket, or reach out to us right here in the community if needed!
  3. Run through the topics I mentioned under Moving an Entire Account and be sure that you have the correct settings and permissions.
  4. Once we have confirmation from all the necessary account Owners, we can send your requests to our accounts team and they will make the changes you need.

Thanks for being such an awesome customer and community! Please let me know if you have any questions or if I have missed anything—I’d be happy to follow up on your comments below. :blush:

Best Practice Guide: APM