Relic Solution: Sending Webhook Payload to Microsoft Outlook

If you are sending a Webhook payload to Microsoft Outlook as part of your Proactive Detection setup documented here, you might find that you are receiving a blank body in your Outlook messages.

In order to get this to work, you will need to use a custom payload as documented in this Microsoft article:

Sending messages to connectors and webhooks

A sample payload is included below as well:

{
    "@type": "MessageCard",
    "@context": "http://schema.org/extensions",
    "themeColor": "0076D7",
    "summary": "New Relic Proactive Detection Test",
    "sections": [{
        "activityTitle": "{{entity.name}} : {{detectionType}}",
        "activitySubtitle": "{{category}}",
        "facts": [{
            "name": "type",
            "value": "Unassigned"
        }, {
            "name": "name",
            "value": "{{entity.name}}"
        }, {
            "name": "link",
            "value": "{{entity.link}}"
        }, {
            "name": "entityGuid",
            "value": "{{entity.entityGuid}}"
        }, {
            "name": "domainId",
            "value": "{{entity.domainId}}"
        }, {
            "name": "accountId",
            "value": "{{entity.accountId}}"
        }, {
            "name": "detectionType",
            "value": "{{detectionType}}"
        }, {
            "name": "category",
            "value": "{{category}}"
        }],
        "markdown": true
    }]
}

Once you have included this custom json payload you should then find your Microsoft Outlook messages body.

2 Likes

Hello!
I have a question, it does not involve Webhook payload to Microsoft Outlook, but I’m using Webhook payload for Microsoft Teams.

I went through all the NR docs and all the internet about Proactive Detection and some samples of custom webhook payloads for Teams, and I do have some questions:

1. Besides those attributes on the Proactive Detection Section (here
    ) such as category, data object, entity object, etc…, there is any other type of attribute that I can use? For example: I’m using "image":"{{viewChartImageUrl}}" to represent the dashboard image when some error is triggered and occurs. But I do not see this attribute set up on the documentation, at least for Proactive Detection.
    There is any other place that I can find those kinds of attributes that does not appear on the docs such as {{viewChartImageUrl}}, that I can use for Proactive Detection Webhook Payload?

Thanks a lot for your time! Hope you could understand my question.

Isn’t it odd that Proactive Detection alerts don’t subscribe to the usual notification channels available in New Relic? Despite its value, we’re unable to use it at our organisation since it doesn’t integrate with PagerDuty or any of the other standards channels. Weird choice to limit it to Slack and webook only.

1 Like

Hi, @rishav.dhar: Doesn’t PagerDuty support webhooks?

Hi @philweber, did you read my 2 sentence post in its entirety?

Yes, PagerDuty accepts event payloads. Could you suggest how I may convert the webhook template (left) to PagerDuty’s specific alert format (right)?

Could you then go on to point me towards the NR docs listing the unique webhook template format for each entry of the notification channel options bar Slack. Note, a widely-supported email format in itself is a whole different rabbit-hole, hence this thread.

While I appreciate workarounds, to ignore the message is far from supportive: it’s entirely dismissive.

Sorry, I did not intend to ignore your message. I am not intimately familiar with PagerDuty, so I sincerely asked whether it supports webhooks. If it does, that may be why the product team opted not to implement product-specific support for PagerDuty: perhaps they chose to spend their limited development time on integrations for which no workaround exists.

This is pure conjecture on my part. As I often point out, I have no insight into development roadmaps or timelines; I receive the product just like you do, and then have to figure out how to use it as delivered.