Setting up New Relic with support for lambdas

I’m just starting our with New Relic but unfortunately hitting a few teething issues.

We run everything on AWS, and primarily use node.js lambdas to run everything. We also use the serverless library for deployments, so I used https://github.com/newrelic/serverless-newrelic-lambda-layers to get everything connected. I can now see all the lambdas and traces on the ‘Entity Explorer’ page.

I’ve also gone onto ‘Infrastructure’ and connected up all the AWS services that we use.

I was expecting to be able to go onto health map, service map and the APM pages to see everything, but all those pages are blank. Am I missing something? Is the lambda layer not an APM agent?

Maybe related but might not be…
When deploying one of the microservices I get these entries in the logs. I’m not sure if this error is a false positive or not, as I can see all the lambdas (and their traces in New Relic).

Serverless: Something went wrong while creating NewRelicLicenseKeySecret: ServerlessError: Parameter 'LicenseKey' must match pattern (?:eu-)?[0-9a-f]+(?:[A-Z]{4})?
Serverless: Adding NewRelic layer to graphql
Serverless: Existing New Relic integration found for this linked account and aws account, skipping creation.
Serverless: Found log subscription for graphql-dev-graphql, verifying configuration

Config in serverless.yml:

newRelic:
    accountId: 29XXXXXX
    apiKey: NRXXXXXXXXXXX
    enableExtension: true
    enableIntegration: true
    logEnabled: true

Hi @richard22, Welcome to the Explorers Hub! To minimize the amount of bandwidth the Node.js agent consumes, New Relic only reports data once per minute. If you add the agent to tests that take less than a minute to run, it will not have time to report data to New Relic.

If you do not see transaction traces or other data after deploying the agent, this may be due to configuration, framework, or Apdex settings. Use New Relic Diagnostics to try to automatically identify the issue.

How can I run that tool? I’m using lambdas. Does this mean that New Relic doesn’t work on any lambdas that execute in less than a minute?

@richard22 To use the Diagnostics CLI:

1. Review the release notes, to make sure you have the latest version.
  2. Download the latest version , which contains executable files for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
  3. Move the executable for your platform into the location of your application’s root directory.
  4. Recommendation: Temporarily raise the logging level for the New Relic agent for more accurate troubleshooting. Note that changing the logging level requires you to restart your application.
  5. Run the executable.
  • Recommendation: Run with a task suite (CLI option) to scope your troubleshooting.

The Diagnostics CLI automatically searches its root directory and subdirectories for agent configuration files and other relevant data.

If your Lambda functions are made using node.js, as you mentioned above, it is possible that this may be the case.

I would suggest running the diagnostic tool to see if it finds anything that may be causing the issue. If not, let me know and we can look into this further.