Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Solved: View avg time in a particular method across all transactions as a chart

We’ve been tracing some trouble in one of our Java applications and think a small DB pool is causing threads to wait for datasource.

If we dive into a particular transaction, we can see a spike in the time for “BasicDataSource.getConnection()” to return (the thread is waiting on a free db connection).

I want to add just that method across all transactions to a dashboard, but I am not sure how, or if its possible…

Chart a particular (internal) API call across all transactions on a dashboard

I found it! If you are looking for a Java method, start exploring under the “Java/” category.

I was fooled by the fact the interface "java(x).sql.DataSource was not under the Java category. But I tried to focus on my implementation (spring app in tomcat) to get the proper implementation package and it was there!

Java/org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource/getConnection

So going forward a nice enhancement would be to show that full package name as a tooltip or something when viewing that method call on other charts.

Hi @edward_webb - that is beautiful troubleshooting! Thank you for spending more time on this and sharing it forward with our community. I am sure this will help others. I have also sent your request on to our product management team.

I hope you have a wonderful week and thank you again!